Anne B

Too much sledging in cricket?

Call me old fashioned, but I can't stand all the sledging that has been going on in the 1st Ashes test. Mitchell Johnson looked really nasty, and I'm so glad Michael Clarke got fined for his broken arm threats. I would expect the captain of the Australian team to set a better example. These 'grown' men are acting like school yard bullies, and really need to grow up. What kind of example are they setting for the younger generation? That verbal abuse of your opponent is a normal part of sport?

It's just not cricket! The bat and ball should be doing all the talking.

Play up! Play up - and Play the Game!!!! Oh dear, Sir Henry Newbolt will be turning in his grave if he knew how low 21st century standards of etiquette in international cricket would sink! "It just isn't cricket"! Such a shame.

Sledging has been part of the game for years and they're all as guilty as each other. I remember the sledge below....

England opening batsman Atherton refused to walk after a loud appeal for a catch behind off his bat. Healy walked by, calling Atherton a "f---ing cheat". The polite Englishman replied: "When in Rome, dear boy."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/on-the-sledge-cricketing-insults-to-aspire-to-20131125-2y596.html#ixzz2lgKLHN4S

What's shocked me is some of the vitriol directed at poor Jonathon Trott on some of the cricket Facebook pages. For goodness sake, he's a human being who is suffering from a debilitating illness - and a sportsman, not some obnoxious criminal. I love cricket as much as the next man (generically obviously) but at the end of the day it's a game for goodness sake and for people to sound like they almost hate someone just because they play for the opposing team... I'm shocked, I really am. This guy could be their brother, their son, their friend, their cousin... I wonder if he'd been diagnosed with something like cancer if there would be such am awful reaction?

Kudos to the England coach/manager/whoever for coming out and saying this morning that it's and England team policy not to single out one opposition player for comment because you never know what is going on in the dressing room, in their lives. Someone needs to have a quiet word with Clarke and Warner and tell them their behaviour is completely out of order both on and off the pitch. As a friend on FB said, compare them to Cook and Pietersen who went up and shook Clarke's and Warner's hands when they reached their hundreds.

It's not 'sledging' - it's crass and course abuse. Sledging should be lighthearted banter - not "suck my ****, you're gonna get a broken ****** arm!"

Guest Claire-n-tel

I think this is the case with so many 'famous' sports people, either like this or arrested for being drunk and abusive in a night club etc etc etc, Seriously the fact that they get away with it or get a slap on the wrist is putting accross the message that what they have done is not that bad......kids are looking up to these people.....i really think that there should be a much harsher penalty, they shoud be just banned, totally, the first time they do something like this......they know they are in the wrong so if they want to then they can but will have to wear the consequences as well......:realmad:

Ahhem.....rant over!:goofy:

Bullying, in my view plain and simple.In all honesty i think from grown men these kind of antics are childish and pathetic.

In terms of the mental health aspect ,i would concur with a commentator this morning on Channel 9, who said it goes against,every principle that is promoted by mental health charities here in Oz.

Hope they all grow up and soon.

Sue