Lazy Cow

Rolling Stones..Worth Almost $500k?

So....should we have had to offer a large cash incentive to get them to play here? Wouldn't a nice Showdown have been enough to open the new Oval?

Are you going? Looks like the tickets have already sold out and scalpers are on the prowl...

:cool: LC

Would they survive the plane flight to Aus at their age?:biggrin:

Hahaha! Very true!

I had forgotten about ths thread! :cute:

I am sure it will be a good gig (if they can stand up that long) but that's a huge amount of money to soend, particularly when the government are cutting back on surf life-related expenditure....

I know they've sold out but since the Stones are already playing other Australian gigs, I wonder whether much money will come from outside SA?

Roll on March lol!

:wubclub: LC

Guest ColinOz
    Would they survive the plane flight to Aus at their age?:biggrin:

They have survived all the drinking, drug abusing and god knows what else, and still going strong. I think a flight won't be a problem to them

I think they should have held off on the AD/DC concert of a couple of years ago and opened the oval with them instead as they're far more connected with Australians that the Stones.

I think they should have held off on the AD/DC concert of a couple of years ago and opened the oval with them instead as they're far more connected with Australians that the Stones.[/QU

lol! as I love telling the aussies..... only Phil Rudd was born in Australia.. cliff and brian ,,, I believe live in the states!! but also born in the uk, as was both the Young's and and Bon Scott.

Malcolm young has been replaced in concert in the late 80's by his cousin, Stevie Young who lives in Birmingham. and looked just like him!

and jimmy barnes is from the uk too..

and jimmy barnes is from the uk too..

He might have been born in Scotland but he is an Aussie icon through and through. I went to the Words Without Music event in Adelaide not long ago and the subject of Cold Chisel came up and Gary Kemp (of Spandau Ballet) who was on the panel said "I have never heard of Cold Chisel", I thought he was going to get lynched (especially saying it in Adelaide!!), you could have cut the atmosphere with a knife and only when he sang an acoustic version of true did he redeem himself with the crowd!!

The return from people coming into the city to see the Stones far outweighs a small spend of half a million bucks. We were lucky enough to get tickets, and have booked a hotel in the city for that night with the intention of going into town early, having a look around and probably a spend up in the mall, eating out and then enjoying the city on the Sunday morning. Now this is something I wouldn't ordinarily do, so from just me and hubby going to the gig we'll be putting at least a few hundred dollars into the SA economy. Now times that by 30, 40 or 50 thousand people ............. SA's half mill we be recouped many times over. It's already been well broadcast via the media that tickets for the Stones in Adelaide have been sold around the world to die hard fans who will be bringing their tourist dollars in to the state too. Personally I think it was a wise move by the State govt for once ..... and we'd be spewing if Adelaide had missed out on a world class iconic band once again, wouldn't we?

I think they should have held off on the AD/DC concert of a couple of years ago and opened the oval with them instead as they're far more connected with Australians that the Stones.

That would be so cool! Their last concert here was the best ever!!

I think The Stones tour just fitted with the plans of both sides (the group and the pollies) but it would have been nice to celebrate our own music. Or just the footy!

:wink: LC

[

lol! as I love telling the aussies..... only Phil Rudd was born in Australia.. .

I thought Acca Dacca were formed in Sydney...that makes them Australian and an important part of rock history here.

As for where the individual members were born, I know the Youngs were born in England but moved to Victoria when they would've been in primary school. If spending your life here doesn't make you Australian, what hope have our kids got lol!

Bon Scott (RIP) lived in Adelaide for a few years...I know because Adelaide is a small place and I worked with someone who shared with him! How cool would that be?

LC

I thought Acca Dacca were formed in Sydney...that makes them Australian and an important part of rock history here.

As for where the individual members were born, I know the Youngs were born in England but moved to Victoria when they would've been in primary school. If spending your life here doesn't make you Australian, what hope have our kids got lol!

Bon Scott (RIP) lived in Adelaide for a few years...I know because Adelaide is a small place and I worked with someone who shared with him! How cool would that be?

LC

personally a believe you are a Aussie once you have decided to stay here!!!!!! the above is a pub wind up!!! which includes .... Mr Holden number 1 (Telford) and ends with Julia Gillard.... mmmm no she's Australian...

As for Aussie icons...... Mick Jagger played Ned Kelly in the film and the song Brown Sugar was wrote in Austraila.... and he said on the radio today he's gran is Australian !!!

before coming to Australia how many of us had heard of cold chisel? jimmy yes but cold chisel?