Air rifle import

TonyD

I know I've put this in the fishing forum but it seems the most suitable place! I have an air rifle(.22) that I have had for years and use very infrequently but as it is worth a good bit of money and I do still enjoy using it so I would like to put it in the shipping container. I cant seem to find a licence requirement on the web and searching the forum only deals with proper firearms that you need a licence for in the UK.

Has anyone had any experience of taking over an air rifle? I'd hate to just put it in the container and create holy hell when they find it when checking it at customs!

Thanks

Tony

I'd hate to just put it in the container and create holy hell when they find it when checking it at customs!

...which is exactly what would happen. See here and have a look at the crap you would have to go through to use one.

Interesting conundrum really given that Australia is plagued with rabbits. You'd think the authorities would want the bunny population reduced and would happily allow people to plod around with their old BSA or whatever with a pocketful of lead pellets but no.

Edited by sidestep

Snifter has the correct info.

You will need a license to import your air rifle as it is considered a Class A firearm. Here is the link:

http://www.sapolice.sa.gov.au/sapol/services/firearms_weapons.jsp

And here is the email address to that particular department should you have any further questions:

SAPOL.FirearmsBranch@police.sa.gov.au

Any imports are Federal matters. You must have a permit to bring it in via Customs and then arrange with the Police of that particular state. Therefore, arrangements must be made with Customs and SAPOL at the same time.

Edited by emmie

I considered bringing my very nice side by side which I used for competition skeet..

it really is not worth the grief, hurdles hurdles then there is SAPoL....

I would sell it, then look at getting licences when you get here!

which is certainly time consuming and hidden in red tape...

buy a fishing rod, you will get more use if it!!!

Thanks to all for the replies - it seems a right royal pain in the a*se but sod it, i'm going to give it a whirl!

I've emailed both customs and the SA Police expressing my intent so hope to her back shortly, the frightening one I read was the 10 year imprisonment and/or 275,000 dollar fine! EEEEEK!

Ratters, I'm already bringing 4 fishing rods - Going to be a busy boy!