Secondary teaching

Bubbl

Hi we are moving to adelaide in the new year. Visa granted yesterday. We have applied for several jobs but no luck - I'm hoping this is because we are not in australia yet. We teach maths and science. Does anyone know of any good agencies who give regular work. We have registered with the SA teaching board but not yet completed the courses that need to be done in australia. Thanks :smile:

Guest Sarah Bradley
Hi we are moving to adelaide in the new year. Visa granted yesterday. We have applied for several jobs but no luck - I'm hoping this is because we are not in australia yet. We teach maths and science. Does anyone know of any good agencies who give regular work. We have registered with the SA teaching board but not yet completed the courses that need to be done in australia. Thanks :smile:

Get yourself booked into the First Aid and RAN (child safe environments) courses ASAP you will not be allowed to teach until you have a letter of authority from the department and the required police checks. They even make teachers who move interstate do all the SA training and checks. They really love the paperwork to be correct here! It took me 6 months, after arriving to get all the bits of paper required so I would recommend getting started now. Advice from a fellow teacher, Science and Music. Good luck with the move I had no problem getting work after completing everything.

Get yourself booked into the First Aid and RAN (child safe environments) courses ASAP you will not be allowed to teach until you have a letter of authority from the department and the required police checks. They even make teachers who move interstate do all the SA training and checks. They really love the paperwork to be correct here! It took me 6 months, after arriving to get all the bits of paper required so I would recommend getting started now. Advice from a fellow teacher, Science and Music. Good luck with the move I had no problem getting work after completing everything.

Thanks for the advice - I will get onto that straight away!

are there many differences to teaching over there or is it pretty similar?

Guest Sarah Bradley

Very similar, slightly less stress in secondary as the exams are only external in year 12. SA has just announced it has a 90% completion rate for year 12 which is amazing. I teach in several schools as a peripatetic music teacher. No National Curriculum like the UK but they are starting to go that way! More project work and supporting students in self directed learning. The maths applications courses are very practical (mortgage interest, buying a car, opening a bank account, investments) my daughter has just completed a maths course in year 11. I did Maths, Physics and Music at A level and qualified in the UK with a combined science degree in teaching.

I think you will be okay with getting a job with those subjects as they are often advertised. I started out with the Randstad Education agency - call them up when you get here and go in, fill in the forms and have an interview. They will soon get you placements. Otherwise, take your first aid (senior) and Mandated notification training certificates along with your TRB ETR form (essential) and CV to your local schools and hope to get a call. That way, you are getting the wage you deserve otherwise the agency will take their cut. Good luck!

I think you will be okay with getting a job with those subjects as they are often advertised. I started out with the Randstad Education agency - call them up when you get here and go in, fill in the forms and have an interview. They will soon get you placements. Otherwise, take your first aid (senior) and Mandated notification training certificates along with your TRB ETR form (essential) and CV to your local schools and hope to get a call. That way, you are getting the wage you deserve otherwise the agency will take their cut. Good luck!

thanks so much for the info - I'm worried that the work will not be available and starting to panic a bit so that sounds reassuring! Thanks for the agency tip! X