Anyone living in Strathalbyn?

Guest sithewindows

Funny we went there today to have a look around as they seem to be building quite a bit there and absolutely loved it too! Thought I'd come on here and see if anyone is living there and what it's like but looks like you

I love the smaller places as I would like some acreage. Looking forward to visiting it as it looks lovely. Would love to settle out there somewhere in the future but I think for schooling options and other things (distance from family if we move too far out), for the time being we are staying more city based.

If you are considering living out there look carefully at the school options. I am not sure if there is much choice or what the school(s) offer. I know a teacher or two and they say that often in the further out towns there perhaps isn't as much as there might be in schools in cities or larger towns. Of course, they'll have plus and negative points, same as anywhere :)

I know the schooling and the fire risk are the two main things I am considering when looking at rural towns and so on. Some of the smaller places mean going away to board for senior school and that isn't something we really want. And fire risk wise I am doing lots of reading on what it means to live in a total fire ban area and what you need to do home wise to prepare and act (if ever needed). I don't know the fire risk for the town but its in the Mount Lofty zone on the SA CFS site (which is a really useful site regardless of anything else)

http://www.cfs.sa.gov.au/site/fire_restrictions/find_your_fire_ban_district.jsp

Strathalbyn has a high school. When I grew up we had no choice, just went to the local one, so no different really.

It isn't surrounded by bush, so I'm guessing the fire danger wouldn't be as high as places in the hills etc.

Out of interest I just checked the school website :cute: It looks nice, covers all the way to end of senior school from what I can tell.

Its in the Mount Lofty fire risk zone I noticed. So fire bans and so on are in place from what I can work out. As to actual real risk, no clue. I keep researching all the places outside of Adelaide and its suburbs. I like to work out the pros and cons of the smaller towns before I ask hubby if he'd consider them. He loves places in the hills. Must admit, I do to, just the fire risk is our main thing to consider and senior school options but that is a few years off yet so plenty of time :)

Guest Guest75

Strath is lovely and would be a tempting place under different circumstances.

It's still a very community minded place - just hope all the incomers from the new building does not affect that way of life.

It all depends on work really - if you don't have a big commute it would be a contender.

A bit nearer and once did tempt is Willinga.

No major fire risk in the area as it is mainly open field agriculture in the surrounds.

My friend loves it but when the kids were younger she had a lot of driving - to school, to friends, to the shops.

When her daughter finally got her 'P's that was one kid less to drive round but then she used to worry because the surrounding roads concerned her!

As for the fire risks well, each person has to be responsible for maintaining their own clear area round the house and it took a fair bit of doing!

I met her when we worked together and I have to say, I was surprised at the distance she was prepared to travel for work.

:wubclub: LC

Guest sithewindows

We seem to drive a lot wherever we live, I also found when I lived in the UK that the hour from work was a good time to wind down. It was also worth the drive to live in a really nice place.

My friend loves it but when the kids were younger she had a lot of driving - to school, to friends, to the shops.

When her daughter finally got her 'P's that was one kid less to drive round but then she used to worry because the surrounding roads concerned her!

As for the fire risks well, each person has to be responsible for maintaining their own clear area round the house and it took a fair bit of doing!

I met her when we worked together and I have to say, I was surprised at the distance she was prepared to travel for work.

... fire risk wise I am doing lots of reading on what it means to live in a total fire ban area and what you need to do home wise to prepare and act (if ever needed). I don't know the fire risk for the town but its in the Mount Lofty zone on the SA CFS site ...

The Mt Lofty fire ban district covers a big area. As well as the Adelaide Hills it includes the vast majority of the Fleurieu Peninsula: Victor Harbor, Cape Jervis, Normanville, Willunga, Aldinga, Aberfoyle Park, Flagstaff Hill etc, as well as further north including much of the Barossa, Gawler, Angle Vale and even St Kilda.

We seem to drive a lot wherever we live, I also found when I lived in the UK that the hour from work was a good time to wind down. It was also worth the drive to live in a really nice place.

Mmmn, definitely! I don't think my girlfriend would've changed where she lived.

It's a personal thing. When my kids were younger I found we were driving around enough with footy etc without adding in school runs or playdates! (Now you know why I call myself, 'Lazy Cow' lol!)

I guess since you are already out down Maclaren Vale I should have guessed you wouldn't be put off by distance!

Edited by Lazy Cow
Typo :0