TonyD

the best SA slurp!

we are now only two weeks off arriving and after my 4th leaving do yesterday (there's a lot of people to say goodbye to - still 2 more do's to enjoy!), it only occurred to me that I am going to be in a right dilemma............what the bloody hell am I going to drink in Adelaide???

a quick search on t'interweb has highlighted Coopers as the local brewery but there must be a few local brews to sample, what do the good people of SA reccomend? I'm primarily a lager/pilsner man but am also partial to the odd sesh on ale - what brews do the good folk of P.i.A reccomend? a further question then leads me to an even bigger dillema............favourite watering holes to wet you whistle?? we'll be living in Brompton for the first 2 months so the nearer to there the better.

thanks

TD

My OH is a bit of a beer buff.... and found the only way to get a decent beer out here is to brew it yourself! There are a couple of microbreweries worth checking out - one at Lobethal in the hills, one in the Barossa in Tanunda, one in McLaren Vale somewhere, and another down at Goolwa. He also says James Squires isn't too bad in terms of mass produced stuff.

Hi Tony, in addition to Diane's suggestions, there's a microbrewery way down south in Myponga that's worth checking out if you're exploring that way. I highly recommend the Wheatsheaf hotel - lovely old pub free of pokies (fruit machines), TVs, betting facilities etc. They only support independent breweries, wineries and do interesting whiskey/beer nights. The girls who run the pub really know their stuff. Great place to try some unusual drinks. The Deli across the road does great pizza if you want to make a night of it (The Wheatie doesn't do food - but you can bring takeaway pizza in and they do cheese platters). The Wheatie also does great live music. All round awesome pub. It's on George St in Thebarton, not too far from Brompton at all.

Can't help much more as not a big beer drinker. Oh one new ish label is called Swell, run by the winemakers at Olivers Taranga in McLaren Vale. Oh one last idea - Ekhidna wines in McLaren Vale (or maybe McLaren Flat - close by anyway) does some interesting beers and an alcoholic ginger beer in addition to some (fairly average compared to most of what's produced in the area) wines - and they do brilliant food. Enjoy!

thanks for that Soo, really helpful.......the Wheatsheaf sounds great - it'll be one of my first stops when we land!

T

Coopers is great, cloudy is really nice and what is available in Waitrose plus tastes much better than the fizzy rubbish uk largers and beers. We have a local coffee shop 'The Black Dog' and he sells the Coopers clear which is also great. We also loved the McLaren Vale beers which are an easy drink on a hot day.

S

Edited by srg73