livinginoz

dog free beaches southern adelaide

Hi, everyone with the weather warming up this week and the school holidays now started I was wondering if anyone knows of any beaches where dogs are not allowed. Not that I have anything against dogs and their owners using beaches, but I have a child that has been bitten twice by dogs ( that he did not provoke, did not belong to us and one was on a lead )and we would like to visit the beach where the children can play without panicing evrytime a dog comes close.

Guest Guest12727

Look at the local council websites for the hours dogs are allowed on the beaches or for beaches that are "dog-free". Normally it is 8pm to 10am during summer, meaning the daytime should be dog free. However, not all dog-owners can read!!!!

To deal with any unexpected encounter, teach your son to stand strong, cross his arms over his chest and turn his back on any approaching dog. The worst thing a child can do is scream, run or be on the ground when a strange dog approaches. Generally dogs will ignore this behaviour and hopefully your son will start to feel more comfortable in the presence of dogs. Some fear is good, as you can never trust any dog around children and close supervision is always required.

I hope you can enjoy our lovely beaches.

Look at the local council websites for the hours dogs are allowed on the beaches or for beaches that are "dog-free". Normally it is 8pm to 10am during summer, meaning the daytime should be dog free. However, not all dog-owners can read!!!!

I don't think that's quite right, Howde.

I think you will find that, during Daylight Savings, dogs are allowed on the beach if leashed....and that only applies after 10am and before 8pm. Before 10am (and after 8pm) dogs are allowed off leash but must remain under effective control.

It's a bylaw that seems pretty popular down most of the southern beaches and explains why you will see so many dogs having their fun early in the morning. It's a lovely, social time for the animals and their owners.

As for the OP, that sucks! I hate stupid dog owners who seem to believe that their dog is only 'being friendly'. They shouldn't allow their animals close enough to your kids to bother them, let alone bite. Grr. Hope Howde's advice helps.:wubclub:

LC

Guest Guest12727

Oh yes, sorry, I was referring to off-lead times of 8pm to 10am. I don't know that there is any beach that bans dogs completely and even in on-leash times many people let their dogs off lead. There should be more policing of this, but then we are accused of being a nanny state with too many rules. Can't win I suppose!

Oh yes, sorry, I was referring to off-lead times of 8pm to 10am. I don't know that there is any beach that bans dogs completely and even in on-leash times many people let their dogs off lead. There should be more policing of this, but then we are accused of being a nanny state with too many rules. Can't win I suppose!

There should be. My children are also scared of dogs due to bad experience and I hate that the animals seem to have more right of way on a beach than us! My kids want to play football and cricket without some hound trying to join in. And I have yet to see any parent let their child sh*t on the beach without clearing it up, yet dog owners seem to get away with it on a daily basis. It's disgusting.

Thanks for the replies, I had looked for dog free beaches on council websites but hadn't found any it looks like there aren't any. My son is 11 and was recently bitten on a public footpath the dog was on a lead, so dogs on-leash make him just as nervous he also has younger brothers who are also nervous more so since he was bitten. I also know of a kid that was attacked by a dog on a beach a few years back. We love using the beach but to go with few dogs we have to go when it gets really hot. As I said before I have nothing against dogs or there owners but I do feel we need beaches that have a no dog policy.

And dog ownership out here is very high, at least, it seems to be. I think we the only people in our town that don't have a dog!

We were sitting on a beach last summer having a bite to eat when this big hound came loping up, so I was gesturing at it and generally telling it to piss off. The owner shouted 'it's okay, he doesn't bite'. Now, I assume that if it did even someone as thick as she evidently was wouldn't have had it running free on a beach with kids, but her lack of any understanding that we didn't want this animal in our faces is what annoyed me. Plenty of responsible dog owners, certainly, but those who ignore the rules - or who think that by covering a turd with sand it's been cleaned up - really should be penalised. :mad:

For some reason, some dog owners just assume you love their dog as well. Er, no - your dog has probably been licking unspeakable places and I don't really want it in my, or my kids, faces thank you.

Get a dog. Join in and don't be grumpy non dog owners. The dogs are allowed on the beaches, it's not going to change but the further out you go you can get whole beaches to yourself.

On a serious note though if your kids are scared of dogs get them around a friendly dog as practice. They will then get used to the dog and know how to act around dogs and how to not show scared body language.

Lost count of the number of times I am happily walking along with my kids, minding our own business, when someone's dog comes bounding up sniffing at us, jumping at us and generally being a nuisance. Of course, you get the usual "don't worry, he won't hurt you" from the owner, but that is NOT the point. Not everyone wants a dog jumping up at them and their kids! I have nothing against dogs, or their owners, but there needs to be some common sense used. If you are in a public place (i.e. a park, beach etc), keep the dog on a lead so it can't bother other people trying to enjoy their day.

Where we live by the park we have the best of both worlds: on the Highbury side it's an off leash area, so if you are ok with dogs, you walk on this side; on the Athelstone side it's on-leash, so if you don't like dogs, or don't want them around you, walk on that side. Sorted! Got absolutely no patience for anyone that doesn't clear up after their dog though.

Im sure theres enough beach for everyone.(from a dog owner,family beach user and surf life saver)If every dog owner cleaned up after there dog and every parent watched there kids and every family took all there rubbish home and none of the teenagers swore or drunk beer on the beach.Would it be ok then just enjoy it.