Hams at Christmas

AussieRob

We always have ham. I noticed this morning Flagstaff IGA has a plentiful supply of SA Barossa Valley hams at good prices and bought one of them.

We always prepare it the day before, and it last for a few days after. We have turkey too, but sometimes you don't want a large turkey cooking for hours when its 40*. and most of my family only like a little.

Some people we know just have ham and seafood, but we like a little tradition. When we were in UK,and I was young, many moons ago, we only used to have pork and chicken, as no-one liked Turkey much.

Guest Guest12727

Many people have Ham as well as Turkey for Christmas lunch. Then they are both used as cold meats for tea and for several days after. Cold meat and salad, ham sandwiches etc. Great for the hot, lazy days when no-one wants to cook. Keep the ham wrapped in cloth in the fridge and it keeps for ages.

Guest Guest75

Turkey for us - the full roast!! Mrs Tyke insists every year!

Must admit I do like a ham though. We find them great for parties. I take the rind off, score and glaze with honey,sweet chilli and anything else I can find in the fridge. Bake off in the Webber to get rid of all the water and it's just the best - easy as well.

Nice alternative to BBQ's.

We stock up after Christmas when legs of ham are on offer. They freeze just fine.:wink::wink: