Guest Scottish Sophie-Sue

Student Midwife graduating in September 2014

Guest Scottish Sophie-Sue

Hi all,

I'm a mature student Midwife in my final year and have recently separated from my husband. Despite my change in circumstances I have decided to continue with my plan of moving to Adelaide when I graduate with my two children aged 7 & 9 and our dog!

Ideally I'd like to secure a sponsored job, although unsure if I'll need 1-2 years post qualifying experience?? I'm DESPERATE to move, to start a fresh, experience new adventures and secure a happy and fulfilling life in Australia :cute:. Any advice gratefully appreciated. x

I can't help you on the nursing and I'm sorry to hear about your relationship break up, but just wanted to say how wonderful it is that you are getting out there and moving on with your life. Go for it and I wish you every joy and happiness.

I think it would be easier with experience in all honesty. You could look at permanent residency that way. All newly qualified midwives and nurses here have to do a GMP or GNP year following qualification - graduate nurse/midwife program. These are sought after positions and there aren't enough positions for all that qualify.

Guest Cherries002

Hi... I graduated as an adult nurse in Sept 2013, Ive spent the last 6 years planning our move for me, hubby and 2 girls (15 & 17), everyone still as eager as day 1 6+ years ago when we first approached the idea. I secured a job on the wards straight away and have been busy working since then. After a month I thought I would start the process but I thought I would benefit from the experience and have delayed the application until NOW!

I have annual leave this month and my sights are set on getting the ball rolling now, Ive spoken to a migration company who confirmed the following:

The 489 is a 4 year temporary visa, sponsored by a state government or eligible relative and has no conditions on your type of work. It allows you to live and work in that state (often with restrictions on where you can live), then apply for a permanent visa once you have lived there 2 years and worked for at least 1 year. You would be sponsored by your employer, your relative, or the state for the permanent visa.

South Australia sponsors nurses and allows you to live anywhere, but requires one year of work experience, so you could prepare everything else in advance, but not apply for sponsorship until you have a year.

Alternatively, you can be sponsored by an employer in Australia, usually for a temporary 457 visa initially; but that requires you to find a job through a hospital or agency, and we can't assist with that.

We wanted to go out on a permanent visa but things like my age/points etc are working against me so the 489 appears to be my best option. Im sure midwifery may be very similar in its criteria for experience, but basically by the time I have completed my IELTS and submitted my EOI and everything else I am sure my 12 months experience will nearly be complete!!

Good luck and I hope you manage to get there, just dont give up, youll be suprised how the time fly's by

Debbie x

Hi there,

I'm a student midwife here in ADL. Last year, not all the grads got positions for a graduate year - there are fewer hospitals here than in UK, so less place to put us. Competition for jobs is tough and within SA Health, grads are allocated to a site - you can ask for preferences, but you may not get them. You will get placed if you go country as they are less popular positions. After grad year, a lot of mws have to go casual as there are just not the positions for them. Of course you can apply for private health care too - Ashford, Flinders private, Burnside etc.

If I were you, and I know its easy for me to say, I'd stay and get more experience or I'd move somewhere else in Oz where there were more jobs. I love midwifery, but we are in a position whereby I don't HAVE to work. If you will be relying on it for income, that would be a very scary prospect.

Jo xx