Hedy Elnemr

Family of 4, moving in April

Hi everyone, am happy reading your posts here. We are a family of four who expect to be granted a 489 visa by next April..planning to arrive to Adelaide by next November 2014. Am an HR Manager and my husband is in Customer Operations telecom field. Our fear is getting bigger thinking we may not hunt a job as early as possible ; we are running a low budget that won't allow us to stay jobless more than two to three months maximum. Hope can get some advises from you.. Cheers and best of luck for all of you :)

Guest nomads
    Hi everyone, am happy reading your posts here. We are a family of four who expect to be granted a 489 visa by next April..planning to arrive to Adelaide by next November 2014. Am an HR Manager and my husband is in Customer Operations telecom field. Our fear is getting bigger thinking we may not hunt a job as early as possible ; we are running a low budget that won't allow us to stay jobless more than two to three months maximum. Hope can get some advises from you.. Cheers and best of luck for all of you :)

Hedy - dont worry we will be there in July and will help you get sorted :) You will have friends there already when you arrive. One point I would say... depending on your work area, we have noticed that many jobs are filled up before the Christmas holidays - for example around October so that they are covered through the summer holidays and from our observations it can often be harder to get work until after summer if you wait past October... can you arrive any earlier??? Dont hesitate to ask if you need help. We are all going through massive changes and are here for each other. When you arrive you can come over and visit and have dinner - its a great way to feel welcome - when we moved overseas for the first time, someone meeting us from the plane and having us over for dinner that first night was a massive blessing, the family and ours are still good friends tho countries apart :)

Hedy - dont worry we will be there in July and will help you get sorted :) You will have friends there already when you arrive. One point I would say... depending on your work area, we have noticed that many jobs are filled up before the Christmas holidays - for example around October so that they are covered through the summer holidays and from our observations it can often be harder to get work until after summer if you wait past October... can you arrive any earlier??? Dont hesitate to ask if you need help. We are all going through massive changes and are here for each other. When you arrive you can come over and visit and have dinner - its a great way to feel welcome - when we moved overseas for the first time, someone meeting us from the plane and having us over for dinner that first night was a massive blessing, the family and ours are still good friends tho countries apart :)

Nomads.. I really appreciate your sweet reply..knowing that moving to another land when u have friends already is really soothing the fear inside us.. Maybe we can try manage arriving by September but we can't make it earlier at all. Am surfing the career websites and I can really see my job in HR required.. what I really need to know now ; how much monthly expenses for a family of 4 would be (including two bedroom rent?! ) may be you will be able to give me some advises after you arrive safely :) wishing you best of luck

Guest nomads

You are very welcome. We will keep in touch and guide you where we can. I guess cost wise it depends on where you want to live, and what schools etc you would like access to...

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/with-2-bedrooms-in-south+plympton%2c+sa+5038%3b+/map-1 realestate.com gives you an idea of living costs. I put in south plympton which seems like a nice and average area to live yet close to the city and it seems that rental can depend between $260-320 per week. I am sure there are cheaper areas to be found - that was just an example. If you can live close to the rail line you would probably not need a car to begin with - or maybe even at all. The public transport in adelaide is very good. We are looking at the south area that is close to the rail line for our son to get to school in mile end and daughter to uni in goodwood. My husband will work at the airport so that's pretty close. We would like to live long term in the lower hills area but pretty much anywhere south or east of the city but not any further south than pasadena or seacliffif we need to commute...... we dont want to go north. Shopping doesnt seem to bad - a lot less than in sydney and darwin but not as cheap as the gold coast.... there are some good public schools from what i have read - Glenunga International might work for your kids coming from the middle east - it has a very high standard and great academic scores but is zoned. That means its free but you have to live within a catchment area. If you google the school http://www.gihs.sa.edu.au/ you should also be able to see the catchment zone and then try and rent a property in that area. Other high schools that area known to be great are Unley High http://www.uhs.sa.edu.au/ and Brighton Secondary http://www.brightonss.sa.edu.au/ both of which are also public school (free) but zoned. We have considered these option but due to our faith, have decided on a christian school for our son http://www.templecc.sa.edu.au/campus-me/. Hope this information helps. When you arrive the things you need to know are mostly things like medicare; tax file nubers; good doctors (that bulk bill) and so on. We will help you where we can. :) Sarah.

You are very welcome. We will keep in touch and guide you where we can. I guess cost wise it depends on where you want to live, and what schools etc you would like access to...

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/with-2-bedrooms-in-south+plympton%2c+sa+5038%3b+/map-1 realestate.com gives you an idea of living costs. I put in south plympton which seems like a nice and average area to live yet close to the city and it seems that rental can depend between $260-320 per week. I am sure there are cheaper areas to be found - that was just an example. If you can live close to the rail line you would probably not need a car to begin with - or maybe even at all. The public transport in adelaide is very good. We are looking at the south area that is close to the rail line for our son to get to school in mile end and daughter to uni in goodwood. My husband will work at the airport so that's pretty close. We would like to live long term in the lower hills area but pretty much anywhere south or east of the city but not any further south than pasadena or seacliffif we need to commute...... we dont want to go north. Shopping doesnt seem to bad - a lot less than in sydney and darwin but not as cheap as the gold coast.... there are some good public schools from what i have read - Glenunga International might work for your kids coming from the middle east - it has a very high standard and great academic scores but is zoned. That means its free but you have to live within a catchment area. If you google the school http://www.gihs.sa.edu.au/ you should also be able to see the catchment zone and then try and rent a property in that area. Other high schools that area known to be great are Unley High http://www.uhs.sa.edu.au/ and Brighton Secondary http://www.brightonss.sa.edu.au/ both of which are also public school (free) but zoned. We have considered these option but due to our faith, have decided on a christian school for our son http://www.templecc.sa.edu.au/campus-me/. Hope this information helps. When you arrive the things you need to know are mostly things like medicare; tax file nubers; good doctors (that bulk bill) and so on. We will help you where we can. :) Sarah.

Dear Sarah! The information you gave me are really helpful.. I will study it thoroughly. . As for medicare , we are not elligible as we are on 489 visa so we will have to pay for our private insurance; but thank god we are elligible for public schools. My sons here in Egypt (7 & 15) are studing American curriculum (grade 2 & grade 10) ; hope australian one is not much different :) cheers,

Moderators/Admin - I am just wondering if this posting and subsequent responses would perhaps be better as a new posting as it seems to have gone off topic from the original post? I was going to respond to Hedy on a specific point but don't want to go off on a tangent to the original post. Just a suggestion.

Moderators/Admin - I am just wondering if this posting and subsequent responses would perhaps be better as a new posting as it seems to have gone off topic from the original post? I was going to respond to Hedy on a specific point but don't want to go off on a tangent to the original post. Just a suggestion.

I can split/move it in a bit when I get home. Fwiw feel free to report this sort of suggestion as all mods will be notified then :)

Am surfing the career websites and I can really see my job in HR required

HR jobs in Adelaide can be difficult to secure, but then I have also known migrants be in the right place at the right time and they have secured work. I know of Australian HR professionals that are struggling to secure work and have been for some time. My background is HR/Recruitment (along with a load of other things!) and HR is very competitive and can be harder as an outsider when you might not know the Australian/SA legislation and practices.

HR jobs in Adelaide can be difficult to secure, but then I have also known migrants be in the right place at the right time and they have secured work. I know of Australian HR professionals that are struggling to secure work and have been for some time. My background is HR/Recruitment (along with a load of other things!) and HR is very competitive and can be harder as an outsider when you might not know the Australian/SA legislation and practices.

Dear Jessica; thank you for the reply. Oh , that is so worrying, however am pretty sure that working in own field specially HR won't be easy. But am a multiskills person and I can work as a startup in any relative field or like office suppport for example. My fear is not finding a job in general.

Anyhow, I hope that we took the right choice and decision by moving. Thank you again Jessica for your concern.