Guest Jubilant

Driving License Exemption time

Guest Jubilant

Hi,

sa.gov.au reads[h=2]New residents[/h]If you are issued a permanent visa and become a resident of South Australia, you must obtain a South Australian driver's licence within three months and you may be required to surrender your overseas driver's licence. Once you are issued with a South Australian learner's permit or driver's licence, your overseas licence is invalid.

My question:

Is this 3 months peiod after first landing (visa validating visit) or after you land for settling permanently. Any body sure about this time period?

This same term use to be stated on Victorias laws, and they did actually mean 3 month from visa grant, however, after numerous complaints they realised it was a big boo boo and now allow it to be 6 months from when you make the permanent move. I would think Adelaide would allow the same but each state is totally different so it may be worth emailing them and getting it in writing.

It's from when you actually become resident here as I understand it. You can't really get an AUS licence without an Aus address etc. Plus they issue a temp one for a couple of weeks till you are sent your actual card licence. Not sure how you can provide the 100 points of documentation proof while over on holiday at a temp address.

If you are really concerned email them direct and ask for clarification.

Guest Jubilant

Well I sent the mail to them and reply I got is

"The three monhs period to apply for your driver license starts from when you became a permanent resident or granted pemanent residency".

In my case I was granted PR in Feb, 2013. Does this mean I had time till May, 2013 to drive the car on my international license?

Did you point out that you are not in the country yet? Many people get pr while in the country, so for them it is three months. If you did I'd play dumb and ask them how you apply from England. ;-)

Well I sent the mail to them and reply I got is

"The three monhs period to apply for your driver license starts from when you became a permanent resident or granted pemanent residency".

In my case I was granted PR in Feb, 2013. Does this mean I had time till May, 2013 to drive the car on my international license?

You are not a permanent resident until you move here permanently, so I would read this as meaning it is three months from when you move here and not from when your visa is granted.

Guest Jubilant

Thank you all. I clarify with them again and it's 3 months after you become PR (move permanently for good).

You are not a permanent resident until you move here permanently, so I would read this as meaning it is three months from when you move here and not from when your visa is granted.

This was all the hassle they got in Victoria, as the department of transport were telling everyone it was from the date the visa was granted. To be honest I would ignore it and plead ignorant.