Guest ringo

Using GPS or IPhone?

Guest ringo

For those driving in Adelaide, I hope you can give some advice.

Is it better to use GPS (like Garmin) to navigate around town or IPhone with local sim will be sufficient?

For those using mobile phone... what sim card you recommend and plan did you get?

I guess the sim card should be with data plan?

TIA.

I'd use your iphone - and if you're using public transport download the free app TripGo: great for working out connections etc

For providers it will depend if you will be staying around metro Adelaide or heading out in the stix. Telstra used to be the only ones with good rural coverage, but apparently Virgin are catching up now. Plus Telstra charge a small fortune for data in comparison to some of the others. Apart from the usual ones (Vodafone, Optus, Virgin etc) you could look at Amaysim as well

Edited by Diane

I use my phone and it's been fine. Not gotten lost once, though tbh once you get to grips with the main road system it's pretty straightforward.

Guest ringo

Thanks for the responses sniffer and Diane.

That was so quick!

:smile:

Appreciate it.

Edited by ringo

I've used the satnav app by Sygic on my iphone for last few years. Excellent app.

The free Google maps app is also very good with turn by turn visual and audio directions, although not being an offline app, it will use more of your data allowance than something like the Sygic app

Guest ringo

Hi Cerberus1 ... you mean the Sygic apps can be used even without mobile data plan? Sorry if I miss understood.

Yes, the sygic App (amongst others) is an offline app, all the mapping data is stored on your phone, so it won't use your data plan as you're driving around, it doesn't need a cellular signal, just the GPS functionality in your phone.

I use one of the free tourists maps, the one with all the BP servo's on is the best, Adelaide and surrounds are easy, if you get lost you still would not have gone far!

I use my iPhone and it works as well as my DH's GPS. :smile:

If you do decide to use your mobile phone for directions, you might want to check out the law.

I believe using a mobile whilst driving is illegal and attracts (surprise surprise!) a hefty fine. I think you have to put the phone in a 'proper' cradle so it really is hands free.

L-, or P- platers are not allowed to use a mobile phone whilst driving whatever the reason and remember, 'whilst driving' includes whilst stationary at the lights.

:cool: LC