Just noticed.....Done 3 Months!!

Guest Claire-n-tel

Guest Claire-n-tel

I think i'd cracked it the day i chucked them out and decided to do it!......tbh i never had and real cravings, but i often fancy one, i think i'll be one of those people who never loses that but thats ok i know i am bloody minded enough to not do it!

We are off out for lunch today, not really to celebrate as were going anyway but still!

I have almost 2 grand tucked away in my knicker draw!......:wink:

Well done Claire.

I was talking to a lady over Christmas and she said she gave up smoking many years ago and within 8 months she had saved up enough money for her flight back to the UK with what she would have spent on cigarettes.

Someone I know smokes and so does their OH (like chimneys!!) and they constantly moan about how they have never had a holiday, never goes out for tea because they can't afford it, how they can't afford private extras cover etc etc etc and I often feel like saying 'if you didn't smoke, you could spend that money flying business class around the world each year, go out for tea and get extras cover", but at the end of the day people make their own choices and if they want to smoke that is their choice - just don't keep banging on to me about how you haven't got any money! :arghh:

Edited by Jessica Berry

Well done Claire.

- just don't keep banging on to me about how you haven't got any money! :arghh:

Well done Claire.

Totally agree there Jessica Berry, we touched on this on a previous thread about house insurance too, got shot down about not every body can afford insurance, but for most households 1 pack of cigs per week would more than adequately cover the premiums. I used to get it a lot back in England where the blokes at work used to say " it's alright for you your well off" I tell them where they can shove their heads, they have no idea what my background is, and they have not the least notion of what poor is! I also point out to them that my family and I will have fond memories of our holidays around the world, whilst they will have only memories of the Friday nights down at the pub!

So as you say Jessica Berry, they can choose to smoke and drink, but I would add, they can also choose to have some of the other finer things in life!

I do not wish to tar everyone with the same brush, but in my experience it sure is a majority.

Guest Claire-n-tel

I started smoking at 21 (late i know!) I always swore if i was missing out on stuff or feeling skint the smokes would be the first things to go.....

When we went to work in Africa for 6 months i didnt smoke, i couldnt really afford to with no money coming in and it didnt feel right anyway, i started again the day after we left there! i had not intended to 'give up' just stop for a while, crazy eh??:wacko:

Sure there are always things you could buy or do with extra money but we never wanted for anything really, i stopped now because i had started to feel embaressed to be a smoker.:embarressed:

Anyhow, now it is done.......and i love it! tbh i havent noticed a change in taste, easier to breathe, etc etc but i have noticed a little feeling i get inside when i realise i am a non smoker and i gotta tell ya......i LOVE that feeling!:biggrin:

congrats, great milestone to reach. We went out to Glenelg Marina last Friday with some friends and when we were on our way my friend called me and asked me to pick some cigs up for him en route..........Jesus H Christ - how dear are they in Australia??? you'll have saved yourself a fortune so well done again and use the money you've saved to treat yourself.

One of my friends, her mum died of cancer related to smoking when she was just a teenager. My friends teenage years were spent watching her mum battle cancer, seeing her in bed a lot of the time and slowly dying. I always remember her saying to me she used to think to herself 'why did my mum love smoking more than me'. I often think about that comment when I see parents smoking around their children.