Denise

Taking our Dog

Hi to all the dog owners, I can't find anything on taking your dog over to Australia. I know the basics and have been on a few websites but can't see anything on the forum about this. I'm basically trying to find a rough price, does anybody know if dogs go on weight?? We have a 42kg Black Labrador who is coming with us but I want an idea of how much its going to cost, I think about 2K aaarrrghhh. Do I need to put him on a laxative diet for a month to save some money!!!

Also, I have heard they can only go to Melbourne, Perth or Sydney for the quarantine period. What happens about getting them to Adelaide after this?

Any help or info would be great.

Guest Martin and Val

Hi Denise,

We will be taking our two dogs with us a Boxer and a Collie, using a company called Air Pets "Eddy Martin 01753685571". We first had to send them all the sizes and weights which determine the size of cage.

We have just applied for the import/export permit and have a price of just over £3,700 this does not include quarantine in Melbourne which will roughly work out at $1200. Your correct they can only go to Melbourne, Sydney or Perth and you have to arrange to collect them once ready. You can enlist another company who will fly them to Adelaide and bring them to your door again at extra cost.

Be very careful with the booster injections as they need a special one which does not contain a certain ingredient.

Hope this helps

Martin and Val

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb097&pp=ZNxdm824YYGB

Thanks for that, when do you suggest sorting this out? We will be leaving (hopefully) May 2009, a way off yet but I'm getting organised!

Guest Martin and Val

Hi Denise,

You cant really do much until you have a date. We are only able to apply for permits at the moment as we cant supply the agent with dates. I don't know if the permits have a life span but we intend to go by September anyway.

Good luck

Martin and Val

Hi Denise,

I'm in a similar position to you - we're hoping to be in Adelaide in 2009. We're taking our Border Terrier Tally and the cat TC.

I've started getting quotes now just so I'm prepared with costs etc. Had a quote from Airpets which was really informative. We're looking around £2,200 for the dog and cat (which are both on the small side), then there's the quarantine ($800 per animal) and then shipping over to Adelaide. Of course you've got vets fees on top of this for blood tests and shots etc.

The Adelaide Bound website has some really good links - attached the link below.

http://www.adelaidebound.com/

The quotes I've got so far have varied from £1,200 for both up to £2,200 for both!

Good luck with it - never mind about worrying about getting yourself and the kids there, I know I will be fretting about these pair too!! :wacko:

Kim x

Guest lippy

Hi

We have just brought our Australian Shepherd over - similar size to a lab

You can't start early enough in your preparations - annual boosters in the UK MUST NOT INCLUDE the LEPTO vaccination within a year of export.

The cost of her flights and import permit were approx £2500

Quarantine a further $800-900 approx

Vaccinations and blood tests plus frontline - approx - £300

Import permits are valid for 9months and take about 3-6wks to come through

Any questions fell free to PM me

Guest Bodie

Hi. We brought our dog over last October. We also used Eddie Martin . I can't remember how much it cost exactly; I guess by the time we had the tests done etc it was over £2000 for our Jack Russell. Luckily we had an excellent vet in London who knew what he was doing. I gave him a copy of the AQIS website download plently of time before the tests had to be done. Bodie stayed at Spotswood in Melbourne. We had to wait for a space to become available. However, you can't book a place until you have a permit number. The application for a permit cost around $250 and takes around 4-6 weeks. You do not get a refund if anything changes. Unfortunately, the permit doesn't last forever so it is important to get your dates right.

Eddie Martin and his team were excellent. Spotswood were also exceptional and kept me informed at all times. I used another company (Jetpets I think) to transport Bodie from Spotswood to my sister's house in Belair as we hadn't arrived at that time. They took excellent care of her and even threatened to call the RSPCA when the airport staff refused to take her off the plane during a handler's strike!

I hated the thought of Bodie doing the trip by herself but it all turned out fine and she is loving being here in Adelaide with more space to run around and various different creatures to chase. I guess the most important piece of advice I can give is to make sure you keep all of the paper work up to date and copies of everything. Good luck.

Tracey