Electrician out for a pre-move recky

808shaun808

Guest Branksies

Jessica & KennyKen, surely there are more sites and ongoing investments in SA? Is there another means of networking, currently investing a lot of time and finances into the planning and training as an electrician, as per my previous post, yet all the responses are that there are no jobs, lack opportunities etc. am I correct in assuming that these are mainly affecting the specific areas and not the likes of FIFO jobs etc? Luckily I can utilise the recruiting agencies to locate the work openings but are things as bad as it sounds? May I ask are Vetassess still the recognised route? I'm hearing mixed reviews on State sponsoring, is that still an option and which is the best organisation for industry standard? Only chasing the advice that will best help get all my ducks in a row before I eventually commit!!!

It's hard for electricians. There's no easy route. There's no getting around the gap training. But like I said before that's makes you near unemployable because your on a restricted licence. Not many firms will not want to pay another spark to look over the work. A lot of companies I've phoned don't take on trade assistants! Why? I don't know maybe because there uses are limited here. Chin up though and hopefully you find that right firm who are willing to take a gamble. Which again is ironic because I have over 13 years expo!

Jessica & KennyKen, surely there are more sites and ongoing investments in SA? Is there another means of networking, currently investing a lot of time and finances into the planning and training as an electrician, as per my previous post, yet all the responses are that there are no jobs, lack opportunities etc. am I correct in assuming that these are mainly affecting the specific areas and not the likes of FIFO jobs etc? Luckily I can utilise the recruiting agencies to locate the work openings but are things as bad as it sounds? May I ask are Vetassess still the recognised route? I'm hearing mixed reviews on State sponsoring, is that still an option and which is the best organisation for industry standard? Only chasing the advice that will best help get all my ducks in a row before I eventually commit!!!

Are you already in the visa process and working as an electrician in the UK?

Electricians in South Australia..... my expo.

its was hard 20 months ago..... I haven't seen it improving and now 70 extra guys have/ are/ may be hitting the job market.

I was out of work for nine months with getting a licence and applying for trade assistance jobs... ( never got because it was hinted at I wouldn't stick it because the wages are poor).

Employment agency's, I found were not interested in you unless they actual had a job for you to apply for.

One of the big employers here.. ASC, won't look at you till you have citizenship. and that crosses over to people working for them on there facility's.

FIFO jobs, it seams you need to know some one.

The exchange rate has put the wine industry into decline.

The motor industry is over.

I have met other Australian electricians who had also been out of work for six months and they have licences and citizenship. and other ones that have joined smaller electrical companies and been treated so bad that they have left.

my expo.... others may have better luck ....

I have been working now for 10 months as a Australian electrician.... so its not impossible.... just very hard. and its not England.

One of the big employers here.. ASC, won't look at you till you have citizenship. and that crosses over to people working for them on there facility's.

ASC mentioned this week in the news......

Australia’s shipbuildingfuture hangs in the balance as Federal Government issues final warning on AirWarfare Destroyers

• by:Political Editor Tory Shepherd
  • June 04, 2014 10:38PM

SOUTH Australia faces the“devastating” loss of thousands of jobs and billions of dollars if theshipbuilding industry does not improve its output.

The Government on Wednesdaysaid the Adelaide-based Air Warfare Destroyer Alliance was on its last chanceto turn things around after delays in producing the warships and a Budgetblowout of more than $300 million.

Defence Minister DavidJohnston sent a “very clear message” that the multi-billion-dollar FutureFrigates program was in danger of being sent overseas as he announced a seriesof measures to fix the AWD project, including “urgently” sending a newmanagement team into ASC.

ASC is one of the threecompanies making up the Alliance that is building the three ships, which aretwo years behind schedule. The others are Raytheon Australia and the DefenceMateriel Organisation.

“If we can’t fix (the $8.5billion AWD project), (the Future Frigates project) is something that willcertainly be in jeopardy because I don’t believe the government will support anenterprise that cannot deliver productively,” Senator Johnston said.

“We will not have a projectrunning over time, running over costs … we’re going to take immediate action.We must do better.”

Air Warfare Destroyer beingbuilt at Osborne. Picture: Roy Van Der Vegt

The Defence industry said ifthe frigates project was lost up to 2500 jobs and a billion dollars a yearwould go with it.

“It would be devastating forthe state if we lost our shipbuilding capability,” Defence Teaming Centre chiefexecutive Chris Burns said. However, he added that he was optimistic thatshipbuilders were up to the challenge of fixing the AWD program.

The core of the problems withthe project, he said, were the peaks and troughs caused by a lack of continuousprojects, which meant skills and jobs were lost and hard to regain.

The Government yesterdayreleased a summary of the Winter report — a review led by former US Navysecretary Don Winter — outlining problems with the project from its initialprogram to the Alliance’s ongoing performance and suggesting a strategy toimprove productivity and put an experienced management team into ASC, althoughcurrent executives will remain in place.

ASC chair Bruce Carterwelcomed the review and said the project had challenges from the beginning, butthat they would do what was necessary to “get the best outcome”.

“There had to be changes tothe way that this is managed … there has to be improvements from everyoneincluding ASC,” he said.

“The one thing that must notbe lost is that the actual work being done down there … is first class.”

ASC is hoping to get acontract for the $40 billion Future Submarines project, which Senator Johnstonsaid was a “different kettle of fish” to the ships.

State Defence IndustriesMinister Martin Hamilton-Smith said the Commonwealth was right to take remedialaction. Consistent work for the shipbuilding industry was important for Defenceand the state, he said.

• 2 months later...