Guest mikeplanb

This is it baby... landing in Adelaide on April 28th.

Guest mikeplanb

Handed my notice in at school (Primary School Teacher), the Mrs. ready to start her new job in Adelaide (Psychiatrist), after a month in Oz in July and August sorting things out a bit I think things are going to be ok. Starting to feel the nerves a bit now though...

Just thought I'd finally say hi everyone, great forum and it's already been massively useful.

See you soon SA!

Cheers,

Mike

Awesome! Makes my belly churn with excitement at the prospect. :goofy:

Was thinking about going over this summer to try to sort some things out myself......would you recommend going? do you think that it was time/money well spent in terms of the move?

Guest Claire-n-tel
    Awesome! Makes my belly churn with excitement at the prospect. :goofy:

Was thinking about going over this summer to try to sort some things out myself......would you recommend going? do you think that it was time/money well spent in terms of the move?

Hi Billy!......the whole reccie thing is a personal choice, some will tell you don't even think of emigrating til you've done one and some will tell you not to waste the money, at the end of the day up to you, personally it would depend if i had visited before i think......

Now i really am not trying to put a downer on you but i'm sure i read before you are waiting to do your IELTS and also waiting results of your skills assessment, i would suggest not even thinking about doing a reccie until you can be a little bit surer that you can actually get a visa.

I just read that back and i sound like the voice of doom and i really don't mean to, sorry, i just mean the whole don't count your chickens thing.......

hmmmmm....i'm going to shut up now!.....:goofy:

Anyway, best of luck! c

Thanks YeahI know I will need to wait until things are settled....I am a positive thinker though and I'm aiming to possibly go out July/August as none of us have even ever been. I think it's the job thing that is worrying me, feel like I really should go and talk to employers to put my mind at rest....possibly even set somthing up.

Really appreciate the response though. :wink:

.....and Mike....keep us up to speed with your progress!

Hi

We are arriving in Adelaide around the 22nd March. So nervous - we only have a few weeks and only starting to prepare - nothing done. If anyone has advice for us please feel free. We are particularly concerned as to where we should arrange accommodation for the first few weeks in Adelaide until we get settled with jobs and more permanent accommodation. any advice very welcome.

We are also confused as to what we should ship - should we store a lot of personal effects at home or ship over? Should we bring bed clothes or ship over or buy over there?

So many questions.

Guest janine

Hi Mazza

I've been in Adelaide since 2005 and am married to a local so have insider knowledge.

As for shipping stuff, I regret not shipping more stuff, but we have an IKEA and heaps of Discount stores so depends on preference. Bedding which is called "Manchester "over here ( Bizarre ) is cheaper in the UK. And Books are also expensive otherwise I would say its comparative.

Good Luck.:biggrin:

Edited by Diane
    Unuthorised advertising removed

Guest Claire-n-tel

Regarding bedding, it depends if you are shipping your bed and quilts as to if you should bother bringing sheets and quilt covers. The sizes are all different here.

Edited by Claire-n-tel

I always advise people to get a short term rental either somewhere central, or somewhere close to where they will be living eventually: I know before you come it is hard to know what the different areas are like, so a lot will depend on your jobs and where you are most likely to find work. I was chatting to some people at the weekend for instance who work in the defence industry out of Edinburgh Park - which is in the north: it would make no sense for them to live in the South West for instance. The trouble is that a lot of the short term rentals do tend to be holiday rentals, and therefore near the beaches, and while some places are lovely fora holiday or a weekend away, if you rent a place, fall in love with it and get the kids (if you have any) settled into schools, and then realise that for your everyday living and working needs it is not so practical, it could prove costly!

Bring as much with you as you can - having personal items around you can really affect how well settled you feel, and while it's nice to be able to replace worn out furniture and stuff when you get here, that too can end up costing quite a bit!

Hi

We are arriving in Adelaide around the 22nd March. So nervous - we only have a few weeks and only starting to prepare - nothing done. If anyone has advice for us please feel free. We are particularly concerned as to where we should arrange accommodation for the first few weeks in Adelaide until we get settled with jobs and more permanent accommodation. any advice very welcome.

We are also confused as to what we should ship - should we store a lot of personal effects at home or ship over? Should we bring bed clothes or ship over or buy over there?

So many questions.

So glad you asked this Mazza.

These exact points were a topic of conversation with us last night. I was going on the - sell loads - store some - ship little philosophy, but after reading some of the responses.....I may shift on this a wee bit.

Thanks so much for advice. Didnt realise so expensive there. Its so far away id like to bring all personal stuff but I guess its not practical to bring lifes memories. Where do you stop? As you may not be home in a long time. I was only going to bring clothes some bedding and personal stuff few photos etc. Not sure to rethink this now.

There are only 2 of us so can you recommend areas to look at short term and those areas to def stay away from. I think id feel more at ease if i had accommodation sorted. We dont have jobs or kmow where we will be eventually so we want to initially be in nice close ti cbd so we are not too overwhelmed. Was it the best move any of ye made?

We rent furnished here so dont have much big possessions to bring. I wasnt going to bother with books. And was going to store some clothes but again I am moving for good. We will be starting from scratch with furniture.

Can you recommend best bank to go with and whats the job market like? I am thinking of engaging resume service to target it to Australian market. Can you recommend one?

Still getting used to the forum, please be patient with me.

Thanks so much for advice. Didnt realise so expensive there. Its so far away id like to bring all personal stuff but I guess its not practical to bring lifes memories. Where do you stop? As you may not be home in a long time. I was only going to bring clothes some bedding and personal stuff few photos etc. Not sure to rethink this now.

There are only 2 of us so can you recommend areas to look at short term and those areas to def stay away from. I think id feel more at ease if i had accommodation sorted. We dont have jobs or kmow where we will be eventually so we want to initially be in nice close ti cbd so we are not too overwhelmed. Was it the best move any of ye made?

We rent furnished here so dont have much big possessions to bring. I wasnt going to bother with books. And was going to store some clothes but again I am moving for good. We will be starting from scratch with furniture.

Can you recommend best bank to go with and whats the job market like? I am thinking of engaging resume service to target it to Australian market. Can you recommend one?

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi Mazza!

We'd been traveling for almost 4 years before making the move to live here so we'd done the "big cull" when we started traveling, sold, gave away, recycled, dumped etc everything from a 3 bed house down to all the pens you have lying around.

We we left with what we could carry in two big holdals and 3 lidded plastic tub things we left at my mums with wedding photos and personal stuff in.

So we settled here with nothing other than those 2 bags and although i can see its not for everyone, tbh we had a ball doing it that way! Garage sales were our friend for first 2 weekends, we spent a couple hundred bucks in kmart for esentials that we couldn't find else where. I guess it was easier for us as we had a rule traveling that if we got something new we had to get rid of something old so we could still fit everything in our bags!

I personally wouldn't be storing clothes in the uk, how long until you go back and will you still even like the stuff? Hmmm.....books, i guess its a personal thing, Tel likes to hang on to his and used to carry about 10 around at any one time, for me, read it, enjoy it, swap it!

CV wise i'm not sure, its not something either of us did, i just walked into a job really (lucky bugger!) Tel did his CV with help from a guide on the net. What work are you looking to do?

Banks, well i think tbh like the uk they're all much of a much, everyone will probably recommend their own one, just make sure you check out the charges here.

Good luck Claire:jiggy:

Have a look at Norwood. For a couple with no kids to worry about, it's lively enogh in its own right, has some lovely leafy areas and nice units and cottages, and is a short hop on a bus, or on a bike, into the city. You could probably even walk it. Otherwise look at Unley, Goodwood, North Adelaide. All nice areas, well located, with a bit of character to them.

As Diane has pointed out, rental location in relation to job opportunities can be important. So for example my OH works in IT and his skills would be utilised in larger organisations which we figured would more than likely be based in the CBD, so we rented close to the CBD. The job he then secured was in the CBD and this meant he could get to work very easily via train, tram or bus. It also meant that while we were establishing ourselves we only needed to buy and pay the running costs of one car.

It just depends on the industries around Adelaide and where they are based, how far you are prepared to travel and your personal circumstances.