Experienced roofer/metal cladder

Guest finn2014

Guest finn2014

Hi Everyone,

Happy Australia Day to all! Lovely beach/barbie weather today!

I'm hoping someone may be able to help. My brother-in-law has emailed me overnight. He lives in NI and is an experienced builder/roofer/metal cladder, who has many years in the job, and has even built his own home near Belfast. As you can imagine, he is used to working in all kinds of weather!

He has asked me to enquire about a move here to Aus with his wife and 2 young children (3 and 1yr) as there is no work for him in NI.

I've been here 14 years and am a Citizen, however when I first came out I was on a sponsorship visa for a healthcare job. I have advised him to send me a CV and work history, but I've advised that as he is 35yrs old, he can either apply for Residency which takes time, or find a sponsor. I have also advised him that sponsorship depends on the type of work involved and the potential employer (and their inability to fill the job with a local person).

I would be grateful for any advise on whether I have advised him correctly, and also from anyone who has been down a similar path of sponsorship in the building business. Another thought is, are there any agencies that can assist with the potential for sponsorship and/or work?

Many thanks, and have a brilliant day!

Finn

Guest finn2014

Thanks Claire-n-tel I've just found the SA gov page for Selected Nominated Occupations, and he is also a qualified Carpenter/Joiner. so I've emailed that page to him. Hes got plenty of reading to do now!

Many thanks for your reply,

Finn