flossybeth

Chimney set to be demolished today

The Port Stanvac chimney is set to be demolished today. I'd read in the paper it was going to be sometime either this month or early next - I was hoping to take the children to see it but alas I am carless today (and they are back at school). I remember watching a Bowyers sausage factory chimney being demolished when I was a child and it's quite a sight.

The skyline will look very different from today - and we've only been here for 18 months.

Guest Guest75

We were lucky enough to see it from home, it fell very gracefully!

I remember when Port Stanvac was operational as an oil refinery. You used to see all the tankers queueing up out at sea. It's good to get rid of the chimney, certainly an eyesore, but not sure if getting rid of the oil refinery was a bit short sighted.

Has anyone heard if they are keeping the jetty I heard council don't want to have to maintain it. Heard there is great fishing off it from a guy that used to work at Port Stanvac.

Guest Guest75
    I remember when Port Stanvac was operational as an oil refinery. You used to see all the tankers queueing up out at sea. It's good to get rid of the chimney, certainly an eyesore, but not sure if getting rid of the oil refinery was a bit short sighted.

Unfortunately the refinery is too small for the tankers of today so I'm told so no point in keeping it really.

Too close to the Desalination plant as well!