Is Christies beach to far from adelaide for first few weeks?

Leeallott

Hi all, we have noticed there are a lot of short term furnished rentals down near Christies beach and surrounding areas but is it to far from city centre? With it being our first few weeks we feel we will need to be around the centre to get a lot of things done and also search for long term rentals, any thoughts or suggestions guys, thanks!

It is for me but others might say different.

I find once I head up the hill out of Seacliff its too far in relation to the CBD, city area for my liking. At least talking south and south east direction.

Of course, you can easily drive in or drive in so far and then catch a tram or train or catch a train in (with a little drive to train perhaps) and its not hours or anything to get from Christies to the CBD. Its maybe 45 minutes or so into the CBD, depending on traffic and route. For a short term let its not a bad thing. You get to see some suburbs, travel through them, get a feel for the larger area and all that. I personally love being able to wander over to the tram, hop on it and be in the city 20 or so minutes later. I like trams though, they feel city like and make me feel more involved in things :cute: I feel very detached once I hit the southern suburbs, especially driving out there and while some of the areas are lovely, I can't see me wanting to live in them.

Also where you end up can often be dependant on work so nothing is set in stone. You may like it down south and focus on rentals out that way or prefer to come closer to the city or something. Don't worry overly, its a commute but a workable one for you in the short term while you find your feet. As to what you prefer after that, you'll find out once you are here :)

Edited by snifter

I'm with Snifter - it's too far for me, but others find it perfect for their needs. It really depends on what you want and where you think you might like to end up. If you would like to be a bit more central to start with try looking for short term lets in somewhere like North Adelaide. We stayed in a lovely place in North Adelaide on one of our holidays over here that wasn't too expensive. I've never looked at rentals in Christies Beach though as it's a bit far out from the in laws for us, so they could be more affordable. When we first moved over we were originally gong to stay in a place in Norwood but ended up at my mother in laws in Firle. Both places really handy for the CBD. As is Rostrevor where we live now. Just be aware if you drive to the CBD during the week it can cost a small fortune to park.

There is of course the argument that for a lot of things you wouldn't have to go anywhere near the CBD. Lots of the government departments you need to go to (Medicare, driving license, centrelink etc) have centres in various locations outside the CBD as well. And unless you want to live in the centre you won't need to go anywhere near it to find a long term let.

Hi all, we have noticed there are a lot of short term furnished rentals down near Christies beach and surrounding areas but is it to far from city centre? With it being our first few weeks we feel we will need to be around the centre to get a lot of things done and also search for long term rentals, any thoughts or suggestions guys, thanks!

No it's not too far, you can use main south, express way, or trapalies hill and be in town within 35-45 mins. It's not a bad area but a bit run down. We have friends who travel from Aldinga to work every day in town, as they like the area and it's a lovely place to live.

Guest Guest75

We live in Hallett Cove ,lived further south and know the area very well in general. If you are only needing to go into the city for "One offs" , and stuff related to your arrival it's not that far.

Loads of people do start off in the south - and settle here for good.

The kids will love the beaches and easy access.

It is 35 / 45 mins but it's a lovely drive and you get to see a lot of suburbs on the way.

The last time I needed to actually be in the city was several months ago for a 1 off job. Apart from that I go in for the odd visit. I'm not one for crowds or congested roads.

Bet you speak with a funny accent coming from Hull, nearly as bad as mine from Leeds:biglaugh::biglaugh:

There is of course the argument that for a lot of things you wouldn't have to go anywhere near the CBD. Lots of the government departments you need to go to (Medicare, driving license, centrelink etc) have centres in various locations outside the CBD as well. And unless you want to live in the centre you won't need to go anywhere near it to find a long term let.

NicF makes a good point about all the things you can do without needing to head to the CBD. I got my DL, medicare and a few other things sorted in our local area without needing to drive more than 5-10 minutes from our house. We are in Glenelg and went to Marion to do all that. They have offices all over so you can just find the nearest ones local to you. We found Medicare easier to go to on a Saturday morning as the Centrelink side of things was closed so it was much quieter. We were seen within 5 minutes of walking in the door. DL I just walked in, filled out the paperwork and walked out 20 minutes later with a temp licence and my card arrived in the post within 2 weeks.

TFN can be done at the PO iirc. Although I did mine online as I read the PR bit and applied that way.

About the only thing we had to head into the CBD for was for our bank as we had to go to where our branch was to collect our cards etc. Our account supervisor was lovely, got everything sorted for us. Could not just go to any local branch for that. We made a morning of it and had lunch in town and went to the Central Market.