Timmie

eager for work

Hi all,my name is Timmie.i am an unqualified carpenter.iv been working in construction for 18 years now.we are arriving in adelaide mid march.i am open to any advice or job offers if any about,im great with my hands and im not afraid of hard work.Any advice?

Hi Timmie,

welcome to the forum!

I don't have a clue of carpenters but my only piece of advice would be that you have to be here in person before you successfully can applying for any jobs (just my 2 cents).

tanx rabeah..we still are in limbo as to moving or not,my partner has a good enough job,to be honest we are both terrified of it not working

Timmie,

Best of luck with it all. Sort of in the same boat although I'm a chartered surveyor who is worried about jacking in a well paid job here in the UK for what?

Guess you never know until you try however stay in touch as I may need to pick your brains for contacts. Also thinking of visiting again in March to hopefully meet some companies and prospective employers. Back to UK after to sell up, pack in job and take the gamble.

S

Thanks 73.ye we were thinking of coming out to Adelaide just to register in march and get a feel for te place,ye ill keep in touch 73.no hassles.good luck

Hey guys,i havent been on for a while,been busy,,just to let you know my partner and i have been to Adelaide and back,we spent the last 2 weeks in march over there.we were very impressed it has to be said,transport,very easy to get around,city is tidy and compact,clean aswell,we were out every nite and never met any trouble once,we attended a few group meetings about jobs and got good feed back,we were assured work wud b no problem,just dont b afraid to look we were told,my partner works in admin, im a carpenter.altough im not qualified iv 18 years experience,if anyone has any construction contacts carpentry or labouring i wud be grateful as we are planning to move permanently in mid August, cheers guys

Glad you enjoyed it Timmie, we set off in early September and excitement is slowly turning to dread although that is simply about work and finding a job, only ever sought 1 job, always been headhunted otherwise! Everything else is not a problem as we have 1 month accommodation booked and already looking slightly more long term, need to rent a small car initially before buying and even got a couple of holidays sort of planned. Adelaide as you mentioned is a great city, compact but not too dense, great beaches and great parks especially to the east and north (love Flinders personally). Really looking forward to September just need a job to really settle me down!!

S

i hope all works out for you and yours S. Sure we ll stay in contact now and see can we help each other,

i hope all works out for you and yours S. Sure we ll stay in contact now and see can we help each other,what line of work are you in?

we attended a few group meetings about jobs and got good feed back,we were assured work wud b no problem,just dont b afraid to look we were told,my partner works in admin, im a carpenter.altough im not qualified iv 18 years experience

Hi Timmie, just wondering what you mean by group meetings about jobs and who assured you that work would be no problem?