Ireland

Timmie

HI.Timmie is my name,im from co. Laois in Ireland,Any advice would be helpful on if its a good idea to leave our jobs in Ireland to emigrate to Adelaide,we have to register before march 22nd or lose our 3 year regional sponsored visa,we r hearing good and bad reviews about Adelaide.is it expensive?is it hard to find work? all replys welcome

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi Timmie, I'm not sure that you will get any different answers than you have gotten already. It is a huge thing to do but you must have been thinking of it for a while to have got your visa and have to validate by march.

Personally having got this far i think you would be mad to at least not come and validate it, how long do you have to move then?

HI.Timmie is my name,im from co. Laois in Ireland,Any advice would be helpful on if its a good idea to leave our jobs in Ireland to emigrate to Adelaide,we have to register before march 22nd or lose our 3 year regional sponsored visa,we r hearing good and bad reviews about Adelaide.is it expensive?is it hard to find work? all replys welcome

G'day!

I think the first question is - what do you do as a job?

Adelaide is probably the least expensive city in Australia in terms of living and overall I think prices average out about the same as when we were living in Devon. The cost of living is about 2 - 2.5 times that of the UK but my salary (IT based work) is about 2.25 times that of my UK wage. House prices in the city feel quite high to me, but we've bought further out of the city and have more space than we could ever have had in the UK for the same money (and our house is nothing fancy).

Second question - what do you like doing? Adelaide is quite mellow but there are plenty of things going on, with lovely countryside and great beaches close at hand. It's pretty isolated though and quite self contained in my opinion. Weather is great overall - though we've been limited by some stinking hot days recently.

Have a think about what you are giving up, versus the thrill of a whole new life - for me, it's worked out well and we've been lucky but it's come at significant sacrifice - mostly leaving family and friends and just having that "belong" feeling that will take time to build up here.

Good luck!

Oh, just read the other thread - I have no idea on the carpenter front.

For us, we felt like we were on a treadmill - same old life, all good - nothing to complain about (apart from some horrible neighbors but that's another story) - but we always wanted to try life out in Oz and for us the pull overcame (eventually - took me about 8 years to build up the courage!) the terrified feelings.

No-one can predict what your journey will be like, but the fundamental question is, how would you feel in a couple of years time if you don't go for it? You have to be ready to really accept it either way I think and just go with that decision. Don't look back either way.

(and don't ask me to listen to my own advice!)

Hey Claire,ye we applied 6 years ago when we arrived back from our years stay in new zealand,we were granted our visa last may,but things happened tat we couldnt leave before xmas, we,re thinking about coming out to activate te visa and that will give us till te end of may then,to be honest Claire we are very nervous

Timmie - I really feel for you. I was in the same position and our family of five had to validate our visa's by October 2012. It was my idea to apply in the first place and both of my teenage boys and my husband were against the move. As soon as we got there they changed their minds. We are desperate to get back out there now - all of us! We are making the move in September this year.

We were similar to Zebedee, decent jobs, kids happy at school and friends, small mortgage life was generally good. Got the application forms 3 times over several years, eventually filled them in, for them to be out of date again, got the visa in 1995, landed in 1999 just 2 days before visa ran out. Our plan was to stay at least long enough to get citizenship (2 years then, now 4), this would then always keep our options open either way for leaving and/or coming back.

Almost 15 years later, still here, good job for me, the wife has given up work, kids left home (yahoo!) one married an Aussie bloke, mortgage on family home paid off in 5.5yrs, have a investment property, fly home/ holiday every year. No regrets no worries, if it had not worked we would be back in England and the mortgage just paid off last year, no real problem with that. Oh yes! forgot the sun shines more here!:cool::smile:

Yes of course Timmie :)

That's a great point K&L - I think it was Tyke that said it takes 2 years to settle, and about 4 to get back to being financially over the move and oh my, yes the sun does shine - I would really miss those Australian skies if we ever went back - some of the most wonderful skies I've ever seen, they almost look painted sometimes.