Rachiegarlo

Interesting vid about new supermarkets being allowed into Australia.

It is amazing to me how easliy led Australians appear to be - just because it's bigger or new or because the other states have it it must be cheaper/shinier/better.... I hate how massive multi-nationals still control people's thinking; when will people stop sneering at local shoppers for being cheapskates - the are no bargains and the quality just isn't there.

Guest Flo

This looks like a corporate hit job... did Costco not give enough advertising money to Channel Nine or what...

The whole Australia tax has nothing to do with Costco, and quite a alot with exchange rates, local demand, logistic costs, and other factors...

and this guy complaining about money going to the US, so we as consumer should pay higher prices to increase the corporate profits of Coles and Woolworths ????

Guest Guest12727

I hate these direct price comparison things too. It doesn't take into account the cost of getting products here, import duty and higher wages that staff earn here. Take a look at the average salary in US, no wonder their products seem cheap to us. I was surprised that Dick Smith wanted us to support Coles / Woolies - he normally complains about them squeezing the producers - I guess it is all relative.

However, I won't be shopping at CostCo. I prefer to support the local butcher and greengrocer and minimise shopping at Coles and Woolies as much as possible. Besides as a family of three we hardly need to buy in bulk.