489 restrictions

Bal67

Can anybody please help me, with regards to work and schooling on a 489 visa in South Australia does anybody know what they are is there anyone already there on a 489 Visa who I can PM with my questions please for example:

Do I need work full time in order to get my PR?

And can i work in any area?

Can my daughter go to any college?

Can my son go to any school state or private?

Any help would be really appreciated or any information on where I can find out the answers would help too as we are due to come out in the next 2/3 months so would like to be prepared!!

Bal.

Hi Bal67

You can apply for a Skilled - Regional (Residence) visa (subclass 887) visa after you have lived for at least two years and worked for at least one year in a Specified Regional Area. Work includes being self-employed. In that year you have to have worked over 35 hours per week for it to be classed as full-time. There can be breaks in employment but it has to total a full year. If you have been sponsored by the state of South Australia then the whole of South Australia is classed as regional including Adelaide. Can't answer the college question as our son is at a public secondary school but if you contact the SA education department they might be able to help. I spoke to the education department in Adelaide on our arrival and they confirmed on a 489 visa you only have to pay the same school fees as a permanent visa holder. I know some schools are pretty strict on catchment areas, we had to show a copy of our lease on enrolment to show that we would be living in the catchment area for a minimum of a year. Someone else will probably come along shortly and help with any unanswered questions you might still have.

Good luck Jo

Edited by evojoan

Hi, am supposed to land to adelaide too late on 2014 on 489 visa. As Jo stated above..schools are zoned with no extra fees .. Additionally,we are not entitled to centerlink, medicare or TAFE courses. .

Hedy,

As we are from the UK I think we are entitled to Medicare, so what are the option for a 17 Year Old then my daughter really wanted to do a TAFE course, does anyone know please?:arghh:

Bal.

No Hedy,

How do you do that, sorry did not know we had to do that, I would have thought our agent would have told us to do it, but she did not!

Thank you for your replies, they are so helpful.

Bal

Try this link..I did not use it yet aa am not granted the visa till now.. try it maybe it helps u

https://online.immi.gov.au/evo/firstParty?actionType=query

Hi Claire,

We arrive sometime in April and my daughter was 17 this month.

I am confused as someone I met on Perth Poms is in WA on a 489 visa and the is saying that a 17 year old cannot do college course and that I will also have to work 35 hours a week for 12 months and live in SA for 2 years before we can apply for 887 visa, everyone tells you different things!!

Bal

x

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi Bal!....ok i think that would put your daughter in year 11 here (year 11 from 16 to 17 and year starts in january) so she could (?) do most of year 11 and 12 in school here

As far as work goes, any rules on what you have to do for the conditions of a visa work wise apply to the applicant only, if the visa was applied for with your hubby as primary applicant then the work conditions are for him only, you would be classed as his dependant and therefore do not have to work at all if you don't want to. If you are the primary applicant the opposite would apply.

Hi Bal67

No only one of you has to work the 12 months full time or two part time jobs but you all have to live in SA for 2 years. My Husband is the main visa holder so hopefully he will continue to work over 35 hours per week for 12 months and once we have lived in SA for 2 years we can apply for a permanent visa in September 2015. How old are your children ?

To include a dependent child in your 887 visa application, the child must be:

your child

a stepchild from a current or a previous relationship (in certain circumstances).

Acceptable documents that can show a parent-child relationship include:

a certified copy of each child's birth certificate

a certified copy of adoption papers.

Your child or stepchild is considered to be dependent if any of the following apply:

they are younger than 18 years of age

they have turned 18 years of age and continue to be wholly or substantially reliant on you for their basic needs (food, clothing and shelter)

they have a mental or physical disability that stops them from earning a living to support themselves (whether or not they migrate with the applicant). The child can be of any age. The child will still need to meet Australia’s health requirement.

A child of any age is not considered to be dependent if they are currently married, engaged to be married or in a de facto relationship.

Some visas require that the child has never been married or in a de facto relationship.

Hope that helps Jo

Edited by evojoan
Add some extra info

Thank you both so much ladies, any chance we can meet for a coffee with you when I get there or something stronger!!! As I know feel better knowing I do not have to work full time when I get there too!!

My only concern now is my daughter as you already know Claire she decided she was not coming in October but has since realised she has too etc etc she will have a better life in SA but really does not want to go back to school and wanted to do a make up and fashion course, thats what I really need to find out know, we do not mind paying for her at all. So if anyone can answer that too then I will be happy!!

Claire,

Is year 12 classed like 6th form here or do they do all subjects like in school?

Bal

xx

Edited by Bal67

Hi Bal67

No only one of you has to work the 12 months full time or two part time jobs but you all have to live in SA for 2 years. My Husband is the main visa holder so hopefully he will continue to work over 35 hours per week for 12 months and once we have lived in SA for 2 years we can apply for a permanent visa in September 2015. How old are your children ?

To include a dependent child in your 887 visa application, the child must be:

your child

a stepchild from a current or a previous relationship (in certain circumstances).

Acceptable documents that can show a parent-child relationship include:

a certified copy of each child's birth certificate

a certified copy of adoption papers.

Your child or stepchild is considered to be dependent if any of the following apply:

they are younger than 18 years of age

they have turned 18 years of age and continue to be wholly or substantially reliant on you for their basic needs (food, clothing and shelter)

they have a mental or physical disability that stops them from earning a living to support themselves (whether or not they migrate with the applicant). The child can be of any age. The child will still need to meet Australia’s health requirement.

A child of any age is not considered to be dependent if they are currently married, engaged to be married or in a de facto relationship.

Some visas require that the child has never been married or in a de facto relationship.

Hope that helps Jo

Jo,

Sorry children are 13 and 17, its my 17 year old daughter I am concerned about!!

Bal

x

Thank you both so much ladies, any chance we can meet for a coffee with you when I get there or something stronger!!! As I know feel better knowing I do not have to work full time when I get there too!!

My only concern now is my daughter as you already know Claire she decided she was not coming in October but has since realised she has too etc etc she will have a better life in SA but really does not want to go back to school and wanted to do a make up and fashion course, thats what I really need to find out know, we do not mind paying for her at all. So if anyone can answer that too then I will be happy!!

Claire,

Is year 12 classed like 6th form here or do they do all subjects like in school?

Bal

xx

Dear Bal, this will be great meeting you ladies in SA and have some coffee together. . Just wish me good luck and a speedy visa grant (hopefully soon).

What I know , that all children above school age for 489 visa holders (my elder son will be 16 when arriving to SA) will have to pay international fees for any course study after high school :S

Guest Claire-n-tel

Ok, well international student charges here are pretty hefty, just had a quick look, to do a 3 year diploma in fashion design and tech a 3 year course would cost $39,000 for just the course fees:err:

Ok, well international student charges here are pretty hefty, just had a quick look, to do a 3 year diploma in fashion design and tech a 3 year course would cost $39,000 for just the course fees:err:

Yeah .. I knew that.. and am not sure how can we afford this for our elder son.. my plan (if everything went smooth) and we are granted a PR after the 2 years and found FT job), to enroll him even if a year late :S the idea of taking same fees for 489 applicants but not allowing them for PR benefits is a bit grey policy to me! However, this was the only option I had. Bal , try not to worry much.. am sure u will clarify all the vague questions u had when u arrive, and will be able to decide accordingly.

Wow Claire,

I was not expecting it to be that much, if she does Year 11 and 12 and then we get out PR, will she still have to pay $39,000 course fee then?

You must tell me how much I owe you for all your advice when I get there, you really have been a life saver!!

Bal

xx:biggrin:

Yeah .. I knew that.. and am not sure how can we afford this for our elder son.. my plan (if everything went smooth) and we are granted a PR after the 2 years and found FT job), to enroll him even if a year late :S the idea of taking same fees for 489 applicants but not allowing them for PR benefits is a bit grey policy to me! However, this was the only option I had. Bal , try not to worry much.. am sure u will clarify all the vague questions u had when u arrive, and will be able to decide accordingly.

Hedy,

We will have to sort something out when we get there and dont worry too much about it yourself.

Bal

x

image.jpg

My my son is doing a VET course at school Level III Music Production running concurrently with his other subjects. It cost us $100 on top of his other school fees. Try having a look on TAFE SA website which is where I got the photo from (sorry admin if it's not allowed, wasn't sure) you should be able to email them for advice or which ever school your daughter is attending perhaps you could email them to see if they offer a VET course in beauty therapy, just a thought.

Would love to meet up for coffee, have not yet had the chance to meet any of the lovely helpful people on PIA yet. Just recovered from a broken arm, still trying to settle in to our new life, job applications & UK visitors have all been using up my time.

From Jo

Guest Claire-n-tel

Bal the fees for that course for australian resident is around $10,000

i think your/her best bet would be the year 11/12 route and see what she can add onto it........maybe tempt her with the hot boy route again?! apparently 80% of school kids complete school to year 12.......oh and she'll get to have her "schoolies week"!