489 restrictions

Bal67

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7562[/ATTACH]

My my son is doing a VET course at school Level III Music Production running concurrently with his other subjects. It cost us $100 on top of his other school fees. Try having a look on TAFE SA website which is where I got the photo from (sorry admin if it's not allowed, wasn't sure) you should be able to email them for advice or which ever school your daughter is attending perhaps you could email them to see if they offer a VET course in beauty therapy, just a thought.

Would love to meet up for coffee, have not yet had the chance to meet any of the lovely helpful people on PIA yet. Just recovered from a broken arm, still trying to settle in to our new life, job applications & UK visitors have all been using up my time.

From Jo

Jo thank you so much I will look into that and look forward to meeting you when we get there too.

Bal

x

Bal the fees for that course for australian resident is around $10,000

i think your/her best bet would be the year 11/12 route and see what she can add onto it........maybe tempt her with the hot boy route again?! apparently 80% of school kids complete school to year 12.......oh and she'll get to have her "schoolies week"!

Hi Claire,

Yes I think you are right, thanks again for all the information, will have a proper look at it all the weekend!!

Bal

x

Bal, once you have PR you do not have to pay international fees for your children to study at Tafe/uni, but you are not entitled to delay the fees until your child finishes and earns over a certain amount. You pay the same fees as a citizen but have to pay upfront each semester. These fees are much much less of course than the international student fees.

Hi Bal

When we arrived we attended a welcome meeting and various different people gave talks on matters to help you settle into your new life as a migrant. One discussion was on the 887 visa and it's requirements and another was courses for migrants at TAFE SA. It Might be worth going to one when you arrive so any un-answered questions you might have, you can ask in person.

Jo

Edited by evojoan
Spelling

Hi Bal

When we arrived we attended a welcome meeting and various different people gave talks on matters to help you settle into your new life as a migrant. One discussion was on the 887 visa and it's requirements and another was courses for migrants at TAFE SA. It Might be worth going to one when you arrive so any un-answered questions you might have, you can ask in person.

Jo

yes Jo,

That would be a very good idea, where did you attend the meeting and how often are the meetings held?

Bal

We arrive sometime in April and my daughter was 17 this month.

Hi Bal,

I would second Claire's idea and get your daughter in to school ASAP!

Socially, it should help her settle in and find friends etc and academically, she will be able to complete her education and get her SACE (South Australian Certificate of Education - states either offer an HSC, which is a Higher School Certificate or a Certificate of Ed.). Having your SACE makes life easier but it's no biggie if you don't. However, a couple of years at school (and maybe a semester as a year 13) will be fun, give your daughter South Australian memories and a feeling of 'belonging', a rating for uni if she wants (her ATAR) and give you time to get pr so you won't have to pay international study rates!

If you enrol quickly, your daughter might be in at the start of the second semester. There are four terms to a school year broken into two semesters. Some subjects run for only one semester so your daughter could potentially start one or two subjects with everyone else!

At the very least, if you make an appointment with the school counsellor (they normally take individual tours) they will be able to advise you what other non-school alternatives would be appropriate for your daughter.

:wubclub: LC