blightys

Guest lollypops1

I think it was obvious to most, especially those that live in this area that this takeaway was certain to fail.

Wrong location, wrong time, far too much established competition, too expensive ...... combine that with an arrogant attitude, very slow service and a big lack of interest from the native Aussies.....I could go on here.

Feel sorry for those that have lost their jobs, one member of staff that worked there was always very pleasant and helpful.

One bit of good news though, a Nepalese restaurant and takeaway has opened where the old pizza hut used to be.....fantastic, far better than pizzas and chips:cute:

Edited by Ian&Beth

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was obvious to most, especially those that live in this area that this takeaway was certain to fail.

Wrong location, wrong time, far too much established competition, too expensive ...... combine that with an arrogant attitude, very slow service and a big lack of interest from the native Aussies.....

I'd say the location was naff from the start what with not being visible from the road and having little, if any, passing traffic however I thought the food was good and if it's gone than that's a bit sad. As to slow service, that's what happens when you don't have much trade - instead of cooking lots in the hope of selling like chippies in the UK one tends to cook to order instead to cut down on waste. In a better location with higher visibility I reckon the outcome may have been a bit different.

a big lack of interest from the native Aussies.....

The owner told me* that their calculations were based almost solely on expat trade.

They knew how popular the chicken shop is and even the, then very new, chip shop in the Village is so based their calculations on only 3% Aussie -non ex-pat - trade.

I know a couple with tried, tested and very relevent experience warned them that the location was far from ideal but they obviously ignored the advice and went ahead.

Sad.

LC

*in a pm which I still have - don't often get round to deleting messages!

Edited by Lazy Cow
Tried to correct the font :(

I'd say the location was naff from the start what with not being visible from the road and having little, if any, passing traffic however I thought the food was good and if it's gone than that's a bit sad. As to slow service, that's what happens when you don't have much trade - instead of cooking lots in the hope of selling like chippies in the UK one tends to cook to order instead to cut down on waste. In a better location with higher visibility I reckon the outcome may have been a bit different.

It wasn't lack of trade, it was bad management. The last time I went there people were queueing out the door. We waited an hour. I used to work in a chip shop and there is no way we would have just cooked to order as they were with so many people waiting. We never went back because of it, I'm sure we weren't the only ones.

Guest Claire-n-tel
Claire, you're killing me!

Definitely...please!!!

Yours, with obvious issues,

LC :(

considering thats on under 4 years of learning to re- read and write i'd say i'm fairly damn proud of my spelling mistakes!:wubclub:

Well I had my haddock and chips at the Brisbane pommie fish shop last Friday, Queue's varied whilst we were there, say we waited 15min, served by young girls (just like Macca's) small fish $10, large $14.95 with $5 chips big enough for two. Salt and vinegar on every table, took my own bread & butter and soft drinks, vimto and other drinks available, there is also their pommie store 3 shops up, for all your British sweets and foods (too damn expensive for me though).

Generally good for a visit say every couple of months or so, or if I'm passing and hungry!

Shame yours did not work out for you all down there! sorry you can not share mine!

Keith.

It wasn't lack of trade, it was bad management. The last time I went there people were queueing out the door. We waited an hour. I used to work in a chip shop and there is no way we would have just cooked to order as they were with so many people waiting. We never went back because of it, I'm sure we weren't the only ones.

So did I, albeit a very long time ago. We were situated on a busy high street with a couple of pubs and a tube station nearby. As such we could cook what we wanted knowing full well it would all be sold. A forgotten corner of Aberfoyle Hub wouldn't come anywhere near that level of trade so it would be a case of reactive cooking according to customer choice rather than proactive cooking according to the usual volume of customers. Also we were established for many years so most of the surrounding area up to I guess a mile radius knew we were there.

So did I, albeit a very long time ago. We were situated on a busy high street with a couple of pubs and a tube station nearby. As such we could cook what we wanted knowing full well it would all be sold. A forgotten corner of Aberfoyle Hub wouldn't come anywhere near that level of trade so it would be a case of reactive cooking according to customer choice rather than proactive cooking according to the usual volume of customers. Also we were established for many years so most of the surrounding area up to I guess a mile radius knew we were there.

They had plenty of people coming in, and leaving because of the ridiculous waits. There were as many customers as we would have had on a slow night, and we never had people waiting for more than five minutes.

There were as many customers as we would have had on a slow night, and we never had people waiting for more than five minutes.

Same here but to be fair your place probably knew how much it would sell in a given evening and cooked accordingly. Blighty's was in a dodgy location hidden away from everyone and there was no steady stream of custom as it was a new venture. As such they cooked accordingly and it all fell over.

In a more thought out location I reckon they'd have done much better. Whoever sold them on The Hub should bear a large part of the failure of that business.

To be fair though their opening hours didn't seem to make sense. Wife went there a few weeks ago midweek at around 7pm and they were already shutting up. As her order topped $80 they stayed open and cooked it for her.

Guest Claire-n-tel
Nahhhh, I'm not buying that. If you have a queue of people out the door at that point you cook more food. Simple. They were still only cooking to order.

Agreed!......they could have kept 5 or 10 of the popular things, cod, battered sausage etc cooked and ready to go.....also cooking more chips ready....

Whatever happened, it would appear they got it wrong, i think that the best thing to come out of it is lots of lessons for anyone thinking about starting their own venture, research, research, research, areas, passing trade, nearby buisness, costs involved, money people willing to spend, obtaining advice from experienced people, attitude, etc etc......

Guest lollypops1

The lady owner her dad has had chippys for years and she kbew wat she was doing the problem was her husband! He was clueless but a know it all! He wouldnt allow the staff to cook a stock ready and he wouldnt pay enough staff to work. So its their own fault it didnt last .HE also couldnt take any critisism or suggestions as he knew best!

• 3 weeks later...
Used to brag about having loads of money yet still leaves outstanding debts on the lease of just over $2700 ????

Yeah but as we don't know the finer details of what went on it's maybe better not to throw numbers into the ring. There are two sides to every tale (and the truth usually lies somewhere in-between).

The truth is he has cut and run. Yes he has left debts. Not only rent but freezers and tills were leased. Fairwork were involved trying to get wages that were owed. Super hasn't been paid. So In between the lines I would say he has done a runner. In the six months I worked there all we got was about his trade. Yet he never did a days work in his trade. Bull and **** comes to my mind.

The truth is he has cut and run. Yes he has left debts. Not only rent but freezers and tills were leased. Fairwork were involved trying to get wages that were owed. Super hasn't been paid. So In between the lines I would say he has done a runner. In the six months I worked there all we got was about his trade. Yet he never did a days work in his trade. Bull and **** comes to my mind.

The Super thing is something that really makes me grind my teeth. When companies don't pay their employees' Super contributions, that's not the company's money they're using for their own purposes, it's the employees'!

I recommend everyone keep a note of the Super that their company is supposed to be paying them each fortnight/pay packet/whatever (it should show on the payslip), and checks the Super fund statement at the end of the year.

To ex employees of Blighty's ... report them to the ATO and the Super fund - there are large fines, and I think possibly even prison sentences in some cases. Throw the book at them. Grrrr....sorry, this is one of my biggest bugbears here!!

Bull and **** comes to my mind.

Bull and Bush?

Bull and Bear?

Bull and Cows?

Bull and Horn?

Bull and Dogs?

Bull and Frog?

or even

Bull and Doza?

Figures are posted in the closed shop window for all to see.

Fair enough I guess but that's still only the one side of it all.

Guest Claire-n-tel

IMHO whatever the 'other' side of the story is the fact that they have split whilst owing money, (especially to employees) says a lot about the kind of people they must be.....