Guest Guest12727

Why is Australia so expensive?

Guest BurgessFamily

I think it was 23rd in the list (of the most expensive cities to live), with Perth in 21st.

It said on the news today (ABC) that Chinese investors are forecast to put over $42b into the property market (in Australia) over the next 12 months - so that may push Adelaide up/down.

I expected things to be really expensive after our reccie (the exchange rate was $1.43 then), but have been pleasantly surprised. Overall I'd say things are no more expensive than the UK - some are much more and some much less.

Guest BurgessFamily

I can depend on what region you are arriving from (for an initial grasp of expense), but more importantly what income you have (compared to your old income).

Once new residents earn Australian dollars it isn't that expensive any longer.

After a while new migrants are familiarised with the prices.

Not everything is that expensive.

Guest BurgessFamily

just get your teeth sorted before you come over. :P

Guest Guest75
    just get your teeth sorted before you come over. :P

Easy - just go into the local muscle gym and shout "Ya big bag of poofta's" - hey presto! No teeth to worry about!!!

Sometimes I even scare myself with money saving ideas such as these!

Guest Claire-n-tel
    Easy - just go into the local muscle gym and shout "Ya big bag of poofta's" - hey presto! No teeth to worry about!!!

Sometimes I even scare myself with money saving ideas such as these!

The scary bit is that you are not even joking:biglaugh:

Guest MandiMR2

After been here just 12 days, we've found most things such as groceries, alcohol, clothes, electrical goods, public transport, pretty reasonable in price & quite similar to costs back in the UK. The one huge difference is the Government taking money for almost absolutely everything, so for we've personally learnt that driving licence fees are much higher here & there's registration fees & stamp duty to be paid when purchasing a car. Fuel is cheaper here & prices differ daily & from suburb to suburb. Sun protection is cheaper & was available for free at the Clipsal event we went to last week as was drinking water. But us Poms coming recently or soon to arrive can't really complain with the excellent exchange rate currently insitu!!!

Edited by MandiMR2

To be honest I don't think its a million miles away from the UK - shop around and you'll be no worse off. its a bloody great country to live in and whilst it may be slightly more expensive to live in i'd rather pay a bit more and have a FANASTIC lifestyle!!

Just make sure you bring good Bedding with you if you are coming over(as it is outrageously expensive),and if you can afford it,a Car Mechanic!!!:wink:

Edited by sueoc

Guest ColinOz

It is expensive because you have to support people Who don't like working :wideeyed: