Whats in demand in Adelaide (jobs)

Guest ge226

Guest ge226

Hello every one..

My husband and I are planing to migrate to Adelaide in a few months time and would like some help/tips regarding careers. I've worked in an offshore bank (branch banking) for about 5 years, but do not have any professional exams done. What are my chances of finding a career in any related are?

Whats the demand for child care/primary school teachers in Adelaide? Would it be a better option for me to start a diploma in child care (to do so I will have to quit my job at the bank) :err:

Hello every one..

My husband and I are planing to migrate to Adelaide in a few months time and would like some help/tips regarding careers. I've worked in an offshore bank (branch banking) for about 5 years, but do not have any professional exams done. What are my chances of finding a career in any related are?

Whats the demand for child care/primary school teachers in Adelaide? Would it be a better option for me to start a diploma in child care (to do so I will have to quit my job at the bank) :err:

Just to clarify, if you are arriving in Adelaide in a few months time, are you thinking of leaving your bank job in the UK (are you based in the UK?) and studying a Diploma of Childcare in the UK before you arrive?

Guest ge226

We are based in Sri Lanka. I'm planing to start a Certificate III level (http://training.gov.au/) course. Seems like I dont have to quite my job at the moment to continue with the course.

Any how, by the time I reach Adelaide, I will have

- 5 years of experience in retail Banking field and

- CHC30712 - Certificate III in Children's Services (Release 1) completed (This is just a 6 month certificate program)

I'm trying to figure out what chances I will have in finding a starter job in either field.

Thanks every one for being so helpful.

Cheers.... :)

We are based in Sri Lanka. I'm planing to start a Certificate III level (http://training.gov.au/) course. Seems like I dont have to quite my job at the moment to continue with the course.

Any how, by the time I reach Adelaide, I will have

- 5 years of experience in retail Banking field and

- CHC30712 - Certificate III in Children's Services (Release 1) completed (This is just a 6 month certificate program)

I'm trying to figure out what chances I will have in finding a starter job in either field.

Thanks every one for being so helpful.

Cheers.... :)

Have you worked in childcare before or are you completing the course in Sri Lanka (is this online?) purely to try to gain childcare work? Doing the course in Adelaide (rather than online overseas) at the right place can have benefits and lead to work/opportunities. I used to work in Adelaide as a Trainer and Assessor (in a different field) and we regularly had employers contacting us about employment opportunities and wanting me to put forward students that were suitable. I have a friend that also works in another sector as a trainer and she also puts students forward to employers. By doing the course here you will gain local knowledge and information which can make a big difference. You may find that you secure work in banking in Adelaide and there wasn't a need to complete/pay for the Childcare course or are you looking for a career change?

I think Aged Care is one of the few growth areas - perhaps more so than childcare

I have a friend who is an aged care trainer and she has a very good reputation as a trainer within the aged care industry and all of her students have secured work and she has trained a lot of people! There has been a push by the Government to fund a lot of aged care qualifications so there are plenty of people with the qualification but not all of them will secure work due to various factors, but with an ageing population in SA I would say it will continue to be a growth area.

Edited by Jessica Berry

Having read previous comments I am one of those Fully qualified carers that cannot find work, I have a lot of experience and its supposed to be a booming area, I used to work for a big company over here before going back to the UK, they tell me they are not recruiting now in my area as they are taking on trainees, its just so frustrating when there are already fully qualified people doing aged care that want to get back into it why oh why are they doing they traineeships, me thinks I need to do something else !!!!!!

Guest ColinOz
Having read previous comments I am one of those Fully qualified carers that cannot find work, I have a lot of experience and its supposed to be a booming area, I used to work for a big company over here before going back to the UK, they tell me they are not recruiting now in my area as they are taking on trainees, its just so frustrating when there are already fully qualified people doing aged care that want to get back into it why oh why are they doing they traineeships, me thinks I need to do something else !!!!!!

In the short term they're cheaper