Anyone enjoying the move on a fairly low wage?

Guest Frank44122

Guest Frank44122

Hi everyone,

just in the process of applying for our PR and just wanted to ask the question specifically to people who have moved over and are on what is considered a fairly low wage. are you enjoying your new life? Do you have any regrets? Is it very stressful living on a low wage in adelaide or,do you have a new outlook on life where money really isn't everything? Just wondered as obviously have read some very negative posts from people who are really not liking it and are prob on a higher wage then what we will be on and also from people who have moved back to the uk who post negative things about living in oz. we will prob be on about 60,000 a year, family of 5. No school age children yet but once all are in school, the wide will get a full time job too.

Thanks for any opinions!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's certainly doable, but you won't be able to eat out or have many luxuries.

I'm on a good bit less than I was in the uk, but our quality of life hasn't worsened (quite the opposite) $60k would be tough for a family of five, but there are lots of things you can do for free here.

You need to weight up all the pros and cons and thoroughly research the lifestyle before you get here. It all depends on what you want from life.

Guest BurgessFamily

There is more pressure here for both parents to be working, but that is off-set with the higher cost of child care (or seems higher I guess).

60k is about the average salary in SA, but like I said, usually there are 2 incomes. The biggest cost is housing, so if you are either coming with some dosh, or willing to buy 'cheap', the costs can be far less. Savings can be made by looking at 3 bed rather than the more desirable 4 bed houses.

I have to say, one of the biggest cost for us after housing has been dental care for the kids. We've had a couple of chipped and one broken tooth and it's cost a few grand to sort (spent $6000 in 2 yrs) - with no end in sight with the broken tooth. Fillings have also been a little expensive, but I think they are better than the NHS ones. :)

With regards to things to do, this can vary and it's down to what you want to do. Our boys are playing soccer for a club and the cost for a season is $300 each. They also play for school (which is only about 10 games) and that is only $60 each. A side from that they have kayaks and that costs us nothing to go out in the sea. They like 10-pin bowling and going to the cinema too, but we time it for super discounts so it doesn't cost too much.

Edited by BurgessFamily

Guest Guest75

I seriously don't know if I'd move out here on a tight budget and on the wage you mention.

I'd be very careful and confident that you have work virtually from day 1.

It's not cheap here any more and to be honest financially be prepared to go backwards a good few years financially.

Sorry to be negative but I'm honest and if I have made you think it's worth it.

Guest BurgessFamily

Defo research employment opportunities before getting here.. jobs on the demand list means nothing. We just took a guy on at work that had been looking for work since arriving in June 2013.

Good question.I would definitely say come over.Dont stress too much,you will get by OK.Once you get here,the trusted survival instinct kicks in,you may struggle for awhile,but things invariably get better once you get to know how things work here.Think of life if you don't take this opportunity,if things change,and it does not come along again!Go for it,you'll be alright.

Good question.I would definitely say come over.Dont stress too much,you will get by OK.Once you get here,the trusted survival instinct kicks in,you may struggle for awhile,but things invariably get better once you get to know how things work here.Think of life if you don't take this opportunity,if things change,and it does not come along again!Go for it,you'll be alright.

Agreed 100 percent.

The median FAMILY income for Australia is only $68k, and SA has lower than average wages.

(source: http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2013/05/what-is-the-typical-australian-income-in-2013/ )

Guest Frank44122

I'm in the motor trade and have looked up garages etc and there seems to be a fair few vacancies so hoping it won't take too long to find a job. We will hopefully be bringing about 50-60 GBP with us which works out to be about 90,000 ish aus dollars. Wife is hoping to get some evening work or weekend work to contribute, hence the higher than average motor trade salary prediction. Once kids are at school, the wife should be working full time to help with school costs and the expense of older children! Thanks for all your replies, we've come back and forth on this whole oz thing so many times, talked ourselves out of it, then started talking about it again, then focusing on only negative things and deciding against it and then coming back to it! just keeps coming up again and again so feel we just have to try it otherwise we will always regret it, pretty expensive way of ensuring no regrets but don't want to get to 50 and think what if.....

Guest Frank44122

Thanks tyke as well for your honesty, I know, having looked through your posts that what you have said is coming from someone who enjoys oz and has done well there rather than from someone who is coming from a negative viewpoint having returned to the uk because it hasn't worked out.

The median FAMILY income for Australia is only $68k, and SA has lower than average wages.

(source: http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2013/05/what-is-the-typical-australian-income-in-2013/ )

Just for accuracy, those figures are from 2009-10 which throws the article title into some doubt! At the end of the same article, it also states: "The typical Australian income, after tax, is $43 100 for a single person, or $90 510 for a couple with two kids." So, take your pick on which figure you prefer!

Edited by jim and adel

Guest Guest75
Thanks tyke as well for your honesty, I know, having looked through your posts that what you have said is coming from someone who enjoys oz and has done well there rather than from someone who is coming from a negative viewpoint having returned to the uk because it hasn't worked out.

Thank you.

If I can make anyone "doublethink" before coming it's good.

Moving here is not for the fainthearted but can really pay off if you work at it and accept the differences.

Thank you.

If I can make anyone "doublethink" before coming it's good.

Moving here is not for the fainthearted but can really pay off if you work at it and accept the differences.

You're right Tyke, it really isn't something you want to fail at purely because you had no real idea what you are doing. That's why threads like this are a good idea - the more research and planning you do, the more people know what to expect.

We had a tough week two weeks ago, when we agreed to buy the house. It finally made things seem 'permanent' and made a real psychological difference - probably similar to the way a couple scoots along living together happily and things change when they marry!

Edited by guspjmh

$60,000 a year would be lovely sadly we are no where near that wage bracket, I am still trying to get a job and finding it very difficult purely just to try and make the money up as we recently returned to live here again, hubby was on a much better wage when we lived here before. As in a previous comment yes we are certainly having to watch what we spend (we have never really done that before) things are very expensive here for sure, theres a lot more you can do here for FREE though outside once you have the equipment but I won't beat about the bush 5 kids will be expensive especially once they do all their clubs etc its gets very pricey and you need to sacrifice some things to do others but somehow its all worth it and you just find a way the lifestyle and weather are massive bonuses

Hi everyone,

just in the process of applying for our PR and just wanted to ask the question specifically to people who have moved over and are on what is considered a fairly low wage. are you enjoying your new life? Do you have any regrets? Is it very stressful living on a low wage in adelaide or,do you have a new outlook on life where money really isn't everything? Just wondered as obviously have read some very negative posts from people who are really not liking it and are prob on a higher wage then what we will be on and also from people who have moved back to the uk who post negative things about living in oz. we will prob be on about 60,000 a year, family of 5. No school age children yet but once all are in school, the wide will get a full time job too.

Thanks for any opinions!

Thats a great attitude, if you think you may have regrets then you've answered your own question, there are many risks involved but I think they are good risks worth taking, we been there and bought the T shirt believe me xx all the best

I'm in the motor trade and have looked up garages etc and there seems to be a fair few vacancies so hoping it won't take too long to find a job. We will hopefully be bringing about 50-60 GBP with us which works out to be about 90,000 ish aus dollars. Wife is hoping to get some evening work or weekend work to contribute, hence the higher than average motor trade salary prediction. Once kids are at school, the wife should be working full time to help with school costs and the expense of older children! Thanks for all your replies, we've come back and forth on this whole oz thing so many times, talked ourselves out of it, then started talking about it again, then focusing on only negative things and deciding against it and then coming back to it! just keeps coming up again and again so feel we just have to try it otherwise we will always regret it, pretty expensive way of ensuring no regrets but don't want to get to 50 and think what if.....

Guest Guest12727

There is a recent thread on here re benefits. If you are on a PR and have 3 kids under 12 with one wage, you will get a pretty good family allowance, which will help.

Guest ebstar

We are a family of 5 and my oh is a mechanic too. We moved over almost 3 years ago now and although finances can be tighter from time to time, we have found the quality of life so much better. We have heaps more time to spend a s a family, with friends etc. I have recently started working part time Which has given us a little more freedom with our spending. In the UK we both worked full time and never had any time or money left at the end of the month. Here we do the occasional meal, cinema etc and do lots of cheap or free things too. We have done heaps of trips and meals out with family when they have been over but it does mean saving before and after. With 3 children and PR you should be eligible for around $300-$400 per fortnight from centre link to top up your salary. Everyone has different expectations on lifestyle so really think about what you want and what changes you would be happy to make. We are so happy with the move and hope you make whatever decision is right for your family. Good luck.

Guest BurgessFamily

Make sure you make the most of any time in the UK you have left. It'll be expensive to travel back as a family for a holiday (better to get relatives to visit you).

Get some shares in a good sun lotion company, you'll be amazed at how quick you'll go through a litre of it with kids in the long hot summer.

If you don't live the dream, you'll always wonder. It may be tough at times, but it'll be an experience you simply can't imagine.

Play to your strengths. Any diesel knowledge will put you ahead of aussie mechanics. :P

I seriously don't know if I'd move out here on a tight budget and on the wage you mention.

I'd be very careful and confident that you have work virtually from day 1.

It's not cheap here any more and to be honest financially be prepared to go backwards a good few years financially.

Sorry to be negative but I'm honest and if I have made you think it's worth it.

We came out in 1999, my salary here was just over half of what I was getting in the UK, back then the only things that were really cheaper was food and fuel, cars were and are still more expensive, rates, insurances were similar, so like Tyke says, it was a backward step for us. However we did buy a house straight away, had a similar mortgage to what we had in UK, tightened our belts as we have had to do a few times before, and with the initially frightening type of mortgage loan (which is an absolutely great type in my opinion) we managed to paid our mortgage off in 5 &1/2 yrs (2005) even on the poor salary, and as an aside it was only18 months ago that we finished paying our endowment element on our uk mortgage.

So things can come good if are prepared to make the right sacrifices and commitments, however I do think the jobs outlook and economic climate at present are not the best, but we are ever hopeful that the never ending cycle of boom and bust is soon coming to the up, just like the UK is now. So when is the right time to come? I'd say when you choose to, having made a considered decision.

good luck to all.

Keith

Guest Frank44122
$60,000 a year would be lovely sadly we are no where near that wage bracket, I am still trying to get a job and finding it very difficult purely just to try and make the money up as we recently returned to live here again, hubby was on a much better wage when we lived here before. As in a previous comment yes we are certainly having to watch what we spend (we have never really done that before) things are very expensive here for sure, theres a lot more you can do here for FREE though outside once you have the equipment but I won't beat about the bush 5 kids will be expensive especially once they do all their clubs etc its gets very pricey and you need to sacrifice some things to do others but somehow its all worth it and you just find a way the lifestyle and weather are massive bonuses

Just out of interest, can I ask why you returned after having gone back to the uk? I know some people say you can't base the move on the weather but to be honest after being stuck inside for what feels like the last 6 months because of relentless rain, it's certainly one of the reasons! We are hoping that once the kids are in school, my wife will be working as well so that will help pay for all the clubs etc. at the moment, at almost 4,3 and 1 I'm hoping the kids will be relatively inexpensive!!

Guest Frank44122
There is a recent thread on here re benefits. If you are on a PR and have 3 kids under 12 with one wage, you will get a pretty good family allowance, which will help.

Yes I saw that one but think it established that it takes into account your uk salary from the July onwards when you first arrive and as I'm on quite a good bonus scheme where I work and work my bum off 6 days a week I'm not sure how much we would get in that first year, would be great to find a motor trade job that works on bonus as that's how I work best...love a good incentive!!

Guest Frank44122
We are a family of 5 and my oh is a mechanic too. We moved over almost 3 years ago now and although finances can be tighter from time to time, we have found the quality of life so much better. We have heaps more time to spend a s a family, with friends etc. I have recently started working part time Which has given us a little more freedom with our spending. In the UK we both worked full time and never had any time or money left at the end of the month. Here we do the occasional meal, cinema etc and do lots of cheap or free things too. We have done heaps of trips and meals out with family when they have been over but it does mean saving before and after. With 3 children and PR you should be eligible for around $300-$400 per fortnight from centre link to top up your salary. Everyone has different expectations on lifestyle so really think about what you want and what changes you would be happy to make. We are so happy with the move and hope you make whatever decision is right for your family. Good luck.

Thats great to hear! Pretty much the same situation as us then. We just want to have a life where we work to live and not the other way around as it is at the moment, have just found the last few months in the uk hard with the weather etc and any days out have had needed up costing about 50 quid as we have had to go to indoor places-swimming pools etc. how has your OH found work over there? Do they work on a bonus scheme or just normal salary?

Guest ebstar
Thats great to hear! Pretty much the same situation as us then. We just want to have a life where we work to live and not the other way around as it is at the moment, have just found the last few months in the uk hard with the weather etc and any days out have had needed up costing about 50 quid as we have had to go to indoor places-swimming pools etc. how has your OH found work over there? Do they work on a bonus scheme or just normal salary?

We found it became increasingly hard to spend time with the kids or each other due to the working hours in the UK and we couldn't reduce hours as and still cover the increasing bills. Outdoor life here is great as long as you use sun cream. My other half is on his 3rd job here. The first was too far from where we settled. The second was a promotion but they were taking the p some what. The place he works now is a new dealership opening and only 5 mins from home 8-4.30 so works great for us. Some places have bonus scheme's and others don't but I'd say ask plenty of q's to be clear on this. Lots of places also offer optional sat mornings too. There's lots of places looking for good tech's and they like the English tech's and most seem to know more than the oz 's.

Moving here is not for the fainthearted but can really pay off if you work at it

'CAN'. Working at it is no guarantee. Things change especially over the years. We never looked in to Centrelink - felt kinda ashamed to be asking really - but when we did we got so much in a lump sum, I phoned them up thinking there had been a mistake! After all, what had we done for the country other than enjoy it?

Anyhow, now our kids are beyond Family Benefit we feel more financial pain. I know that for us, costs have risen hugely and the kids have long been over free stuff lol.

I suppose my point is, I feel it can take a few years for things to stop financially swinging between, " Goodness, it's all good" to" Oh, it's fair expensive here" to "Wow! When did life simply become life?"

If I had a good life, surrounded by people I loved, in the UK, I would stay. If my whole self wanted...needed ....the adventure, I'd say bugger it and come over. It will either work or it won't.

Wherever you live.

LC

Don't forget that you have to pay school fees (in state schools), although if you are on a really low income you can get help via a School Card http://www.decd.sa.gov.au/goldbook/pages/school_card/schoolcard/?reFlag=1

Fees do vary from school to school; Primary school fees are $300-$400 a year but high school costs more - we pay nearly a $1000 a year, which includes rental of a compulsory school laptop (about $350).

Guest Frank44122
We found it became increasingly hard to spend time with the kids or each other due to the working hours in the UK and we couldn't reduce hours as and still cover the increasing bills. Outdoor life here is great as long as you use sun cream. My other half is on his 3rd job here. The first was too far from where we settled. The second was a promotion but they were taking the p some what. The place he works now is a new dealership opening and only 5 mins from home 8-4.30 so works great for us. Some places have bonus scheme's and others don't but I'd say ask plenty of q's to be clear on this. Lots of places also offer optional sat mornings too. There's lots of places looking for good tech's and they like the English tech's and most seem to know more than the oz 's.

Well I'm a senior tech with 14 years experience so hopefully will find something fairly quickly. Do you know if there are many dealerships commutable from the port noarlunga Area? They all seem to be north of the city and a few east. Hard to know how long it would take to commute to them without knowing what rush hour is like! Might be coming out on a reccie in sep so hopefully will have a chance to see for myself then. Thanks for the advice!