Home and never been happier!

Guest ECLM

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest purplepants

Oh reading this makes me smile have just made the decision to come home after 4 years here we are so excited to be returning home its such a struggle here and you are right they dont like us glad all worked out well for you and enjoy the sunshine

From my experience, and I have had ups and downs - the attitude of any local people towards us has been nothing but positive, maybe I have a good bunch at work (we all take the pee out of each other) or whether having 3 children helps us meet people....I dunno, I haven't ever felt unwelcome. That changes on the road though!

I am not going to get into a debate with you, but this post of yours 2 year sago:

You were at uni then, and wanted to leave. I stand by the job situation is not the reason you went back to UK.

I am happy your back and settled in UK, but even if you had found work here, you still wouldn't haven't been happy is my guess.

Cheers!

well you're wrong I'm afraid, you've no idea who I am nor do you know anything about me so I'm afraid your assumptions are incorrect

ELCM you say you did not post to 'rant and rave', however in my book 'spleen well and truly vented' = rant.

Thats fine, we all need to rant at times :)

Meant as a joke by the way

Oh reading this makes me smile have just made the decision to come home after 4 years here we are so excited to be returning home its such a struggle here and you are right they dont like us glad all worked out well for you and enjoy the sunshine

Good luck! 4 years is a long time! I stuck 3 and a half once! Thanks very much, soon you'll be on your way!

Maybe the forum has a fault with the search function and is attributing posts to you that you didn't make.

Please accept my apologies.

It doesn't matter what posts I made two years ago when having a pretty crap time. Perhaps I fancied a bit of a moan, but it doesn't mean I wasn't trying incredibly hard to enjoy my life there. If I really went in to depth about the struggle we had maybe you'd get it but I don't need to justify myself to anyone, I just want to help those who might be heading home with a bit of friendly advice about whether they should/travelling etc. You clearly have no interest in this so what's the point in picking apart my account of my time in Adelaide. Case in point being 'purplepants' - this persons decided to come home and if they need any advice, here I am. If not then it's just an story to read.

I do have an interest. Hence me posting, and I am happy when others are happy.

All I am doing is showing the background to your post (as in all your posts prior to yesterday's were negative to Adelaide), I don't think there is anything wrong with what I have done. I like a good debate.

You have said that in your field there was no work in Adelaide, so you went back to UK and all is good. I have no issue with this at all, and i am not surprised that many fields have more opportunities in UK, but on the flip side more people go for every job too.

Well actually they weren't entirely negative as I did say that people should give it a fair chance and that some may actually love it. There's no need to delve into the deeper meaning of a simple story and analyse it as you've no idea what I really meant and what really happened - only I know this! There's no need for a debate and that's certainly not why I started this - it wasn't to be antagonistic, it was to help. Perhaps there are students or other young 20-somethings out there who need a helping hand - that's why I posted my story, not to have a debate about possible double-entendre and whether I really wanted a job, because that's ridiculous! Of course I wanted a great graduate job, I also wanted friends, a home and my parents to be happy but that wasn't to be so I went home and found everything I've ever wanted and consider myself to be very lucky. However, I do genuinely hope that people who move to Adelaide find happiness but if they don't, my post was put there to say "you're not alone and I'm very happy in England so perhaps you could be too, so if you want any advice please message me" - not "let's have a debate and talk about how terribly negative I've been". I'm sorry but in this forum you will find negatives (hence why people want to leave) but there will be positives too; for example I did say that I learnt an awful lot from my experience and I actually did take away some positive life lessons from my time here but overall it wasn't for me. But enough of this, if you have a sensible comment and need some advice please message me. If not, I hope my story helps at least one person!

ECLM is right, many young graduates with no work experience in their field or through knowing the right people will never ever find a suitable job here. I know many elderly people whose well qualified children couldn't find a good job and were forced to move to Victoria, NSW, Switzerland, UK etc.

That's why many graduates move interstate or like the TO back to England. There's nothing wrong with it. Studying long and hard and not finding a decent job had made many young South Australians contribute to the 'brain drain'.

It was and it is very hard not only to find a job in SA/Adelaide, it's even harder to remain in the job. When I think of my job as a casual/casual work force, increasing part time jobs due to cutting working hours to the bones in many industries even in the high demand aged care sector (others already mentioned the closure of Holden).

In contrast to ECLM I love Adelaide and Australia and hate the European weather. But that's the only disagreement I have.

People who cannot cope with different opinions and negative experiences shouldn't read 'returning back to the UK' threads.

I have no idea what you mean about elderly people with well qualified children has to do with anything TBH.

But moving on, all over the world people move to get work. My doctor in Adelaide is from the UK, whereas my Dr in the Uk was from India. I am sure someone out of Australia has an Australian doctor.

5 years ago UK was in dire straits now it's picking up. All things go in cycles, maybe in 3 years SA booms again. Who knows?

And I don't think any of us can't cope with these threads, do you mean those who don't want to go back to UK shouldn't read them? If so, why not?

Edited by adelaidenow

Different situations mate. You're a graduate. I'm a father of two who would choose adelaide a million times over London where I used to live. If you get work here. Then there is no comparison!

Yeah...and?? I have an amazing job in England and would have no hope over there. My father was educated in australia and worked there and couldn't get anything and nor could my mother. It depends on what you do, we had no chance in our fields and they were incredibly ageist to my parents. My father was even told he was too old when he was 50! He was applying for work with a PR agency he had once worked with! So it's totally dependent on your field. My parents worked for many years in Adelaide and Sydney and would rather work in Hampshire and London respectively due to the nature of their jobs. You can't make a generalisation. It depends on the person as well as the field.

Edited by ECLM

ECLM is right, many young graduates with no work experience in their field or through knowing the right people will never ever find a suitable job here. I know many elderly people whose well qualified children couldn't find a good job and were forced to move to Victoria, NSW, Switzerland, UK etc.

That's why many graduates move interstate or like the TO back to England. There's nothing wrong with it. Studying long and hard and not finding a decent job had made many young South Australians contribute to the 'brain drain'.

It was and it is very hard not only to find a job in SA/Adelaide, it's even harder to remain in the job. When I think of my job as a casual/casual work force, increasing part time jobs due to cutting working hours to the bones in many industries even in the high demand aged care sector (others already mentioned the closure of Holden).

In contrast to ECLM I love Adelaide and Australia and hate the European weather. But that's the only disagreement I have.

People who cannot cope with different opinions and negative experiences shouldn't read 'returning back to the UK' threads.

My point exactly! I'm glad you're happy where you are! Thanks for the response!

Just to add another viewpoint into the mix, the UK to me mostly means Cornwall and Devon - that's where I lived for most of my life, that's where my family is and that's the only part I would consider moving back too - there just wouldn't be any reason to ever think of moving back to anywhere else in the UK. I'm 40, have a family as well, so I don't have a focused mindset just on careers, it's more about quality of life, safe environment, etc.

Cornwall and Devon have many of the same issues as Adelaide - few jobs, no especially large industries, etc so I guess I'm someone that has already sacrificed job opportunities which makes Adelaide a good place to life for me at this time. Not to say I don't think about going back - but it's more for family reasons and the odd feeling of not belonging here than a need to chase jobs. I am pretty lucky with IT work here and find Adelaide pretty okay for IT opportunities, that probably helps.

The other point is that I often think about my children and their futures - I fully understand that it is unlikely all 3 or maybe not any of them will stay in Adelaide and the migration to Australia was partly about giving them a future of choice as they will be able to live and work quite easily in UK, Europe, Australia, NZ. I think that's quite a nice gift that they may or may not use. I think my wife and I would quite like to go and visit our kiddies in their places (provided they want us!).

Anyway, this is not aimed at answering anyone else's question or opinions, just sharing my experience - when we lived in Devon, I loved visiting London - for a day, but by the end of it I was glad to get out. As previously said, individuals have their own needs - that's a good thing but to me, moving back to the UK wouldn't ever mean one of the big cities.

To quote the migration oracle 'Wanted Down Under' :wink:..........

'Australia and New Zealand are frequently ranked as two of the best countries in the world to live in. We're attracted by the promise of sun-kissed beaches, stunning scenery and an idyllic outdoor lifestyle down under. But the move doesn’t always work out – each year around a third of people who made the move return back to the UK.'

If approximately 1 in 3 will return, then the 'Returning to the UK' section of this forum is probably of interest to a lot of people and other peoples experiences and stories may help others.

OK, so it didn't work out, tough luck. Hope you feel better now that you have single-handedly destroyed the spirit of the entire state with one fell swoop of your mighty keyboard. You win, we surrender..!

As an ex-pat I wouldn't bang on about uncontrolled immigration, gypsies, crooks from Eastern Europe, tiny houses, nine months of winter, traffic jams every holiday, cloudy skies most of the time, Pubs closing down everywhere, overcrowding, rude shop assistants, etc... That would be petty and vindictive would it not..?.

Wow which part of the UK are you from???I'm staying in Greenwith atm (career break from the UK)so not far from you.I like it here,its ok for a "burb",handy to TTP,the Village shops ect but as much as I like it here,where I live in the UK is really beautiful.Love both places,but boy do you have a negative stance on the UK!Any good points or are you the type that just focus's on the negatives?

Wow which part of the UK are you from???I'm staying in Greenwith atm (career break from the UK)so not far from you.I like it here,its ok for a "burb",handy to TTP,the Village shops ect but as much as I like it here,where I live in the UK is really beautiful.Love both places,but boy do you have a negative stance on the UK!Any good points or are you the type that just focus's on the negatives?

I love the UK, it's a great place. The list of good stuff is a longer one than the list of bad. I was just highlighting how easy it is to dump all the bad aspects of a place into one post if your aim is to justify hating it. But as I stated, I wouldn't do that. The OP appears hell bent on revenge on Adelaide because it didn't suit them. That's my point.

Guest Spitfire

I returned to the UK last year for the first time in around five years in Adelaide. We went back for a month-long holiday. I was surprised by how rude people were, even in the service sector, I was also surprised by how cold it was despite the fact we went back in June. I was shocked to see how degraded the streets and shops looks in the mid-size towns I saw. On the other hand, it was just fantastic being around so much family and even though it was cold when I acclimatised I preferred being in an actual summer rather than an inferno. Mixed feelings, like so many of us.