JimandBarbinAus

Citizenship and passports

Hi guys we are perm residents in aus been here 2 years now and can apply for citizenship in a couple more which we will do however my uk passport is just about to expire. I've no plans to travel outside oz in the next 2 yrs so can i just apply for an oz passport then and in the meantime let my uk one lapse? Is that ok just don't want to pay for 2 passports if u know what I mean, thanks all....

Guest Claire-n-tel

I would guess that is ok.....you do not have to hold a valid passport, is there no chance you would have to visit uk in an emergency?

Yes you can.... Mine expired and I still used

It for ID purposes! However I have now renewed it so it's easier to go back and forth!

Dan

I don't think so, also a quickie....

Perm Visa granted nov 2010 validated jun2011 on separate trip made move jul 2012

Does the 4 years towards residency count from Jun 2011 or jul 2012??

Guest Claire-n-tel

For me it wouldn't work as I have my Mum and our families in the UK. Had to make the whole emergency trip a couple of years ago for my brother and it was bad enough without stressing even more. If we'd have had to sort out passports We would not have had those last couple of days with him.