candt

Gas, Electric, Water cost?

Hi

Im trying to budget but have no idea how much the average cost of gas, electric and water costs a quarter?

New to Adelaide so could someone give me a rough guide? 3 bed property, air con and no pool :-)

thanks

As I have realised through moving house the house can make a big difference. Is the water heated by gas or electric? What type of air con? Heating? I don't think you can really know until your first bills come in.

Are you renting? If so water will be less.

As I have realised through moving house the house can make a big difference. Is the water heated by gas or electric? What type of air con? Heating? I don't think you can really know until your first bills come in.

Are you renting? If so water will be less.

Agree with this. We have now bought and the bills amount is very different to what we were paying before. We now have solar hot water and solar panels, gas heating and also air con. Where we were before there was one air con unit in the lounge room, no solar anything and no heating other than an electric fire in the lounge room. When renting you perhaps don't get the benefits of solar as you might when you own. Not sure how it works with landlord and what is paid etc. Hopefully its a useful thing when renting but don't know, perhaps someone else can shed some light there.

Air con varies depending on what type you have. We have ducted which I am told is cheaper to run.

Will also depend on your own personal water useage too. We are trying to be very careful in our house and to bring the usage down. Also looking into having rainwater to flush toilets and seeing how cost effective and worthwhile it is.

All those things can really alter how much your bills may end up being.

Thanks all, we have solar but not sure how it all works. Air con is ducted & we rent. I think if I budget maybe $100 a week for utility bills, then that should be plenty?

It costs a fortune!! Got our electric bill - for 11 days -$160

It's been really cold, so we were using the air con to heat the house. Not any more

What is your temperature setting? Might pay to set it lower to the 18-19c range as $100 per week is a bit much. Could it be you are paying for 'green' power, too?

Not sure about green power? I will check the bill. Its been on 22c. I'm a bit silly really I thought we could use it like central heating in the UK. Now I know that's not how it works.

We're just wrapping up and suffering the cold, hopefully I will be complaining about the heat soon :-)

Will also depend on your own personal water useage too. We are trying to be very careful in our house and to bring the usage down. Also looking into having rainwater to flush toilets and seeing how cost effective and worthwhile it is

We tried this, but there was always some sediment coming through and it was not that successful, but we do use it on the garden and it saves quite a bit.. Our water bill is about $220 per quarter and the use of water varies between $15 and $34, so that is not a major saving to the bill.

You used to be able to have someone come round and do an energy audit, they advised you what ways you could save power, by using different lamps etc. which they provided. I think it was a govt scheme and I am not sure if it is still going.

Edited by cliffy

We are 2 adults and 2 young-uns, 5 and 8yrs.

We pay around $100 per month for gas - used to heat water (instant hot water heater) and the house with a wall furnace. A little less in summer and little more in winter of course.

Around $100 per month on electricity. Air con is a ducted evaporative air conditioner - only used in the hottest of summer days.

Around $50 per month for water (usage only).

We don't have solar and we are renting.

regards,

Geoff.