Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ellie

My Dad

Guest Ellie

Not sure if anyone knows but my Mom and Dad want to come with us and as we are still doing all our research first my Dad got a few worries. He is 72 and is still working full time as a Maintainance and projects manager and refuses to retire!! He is worried that if he goes out to Adelaide he won't get work due to his age. For one he is too active and doesn't want to be put on the shelf and secondly he is worried he won't manage on a pension. Does anyone know what it's like for the older genergation out there?

Cheers

Guest cunnah10

Hi my parents have also now decided that after months of refusing to accept us going they now desperately want to follow us out if we settle there happily!

Wish it was that simple!But from what i gather it's a long costly process and at both nearly 70 a "long time" to process any parent visa is not what they want to hear!!

But i will do my best to help them get the ball rolling!

I have heard that they can possibly come out for 12 months temp if parent visa has been lodged then hop over to New zealand when the 12 month temp period is up for maybe a week then hop back on another 12 month temp.Hopefully by the time that runs out they may have a chance that the permanent parent visa has been sorted!But who knows!

My parents also worried about pensions and medicare for themselves!Both retired though!

A lot of facts for them to look into yet!

Good luck with your parents!

Gill

Guest Ellie

Thanks Gill. They haven't started an application yet they are very apprehensive. It's really hard as we all live together anyway. It's holding us back until we know more as I am the only child and it's too far to leave them behind but at the same time I don't feel we have a future here. I'm stuck in a catch 22. Wouldn't be so bad if I was leaving them behind with family. We are going to Expo in Birmingham in June, I wish it was sooner!

Guest cunnah10

I know only too well what you must be going through!The guilt and emotions over parents but wanting a better life/future for yourself and your kids!

I will be leaving my parents totally on their own when we disappear hopefully this September!Not easy by any means!Especially when we are all so very close!They live and breath for me and my 4 kids and yes i feel extremely cruel taking them away!BUt we have been planning this for nearly 3 years now and i have actually backed out once due to all the guilt and emotionally side of it all!

But my parents now have accepted us moving and will miss us terribly but say that they understand!

Suddenly they are very keen on following us out!Haven't a good word to say for this country anymore and no longer think it should be called "GREAT" Britain.If we head off to start a new life in Adelaide then they have nothing to keep them here!

Only thing is it will be a good while before they can join us and a lot can happen(if you know what i mean)in that time!

Firstly we have to be living there for a certain amount of time on a permanent visa before we can even sponsor them(all very complicated).Taken that we are going out on a 3 year temp visa then you can see what i mean when i say it won't happen for a good while unfortunately!

Anyway i wish you luck and stay strong!Having guilt,emotions and feeling very wobbly i've been told is very normal!

Gill