Kangeroo island

Hi,

My parents are coming over in October to spend some time with us and so I'm looking in to doing a few days on kangeroo island with them. There's a post on here from 2011 I've read but just wondered if anyone had been recently - things to do? Not do? Etc.

Ive got 2 young children so will need to make it all do-able for them.

thanks in advance

xxx

Its big - 150km across, so try to find somewhere central like Vivonne Bay.

Some of the north south minor roads need a 4WD in winter - or a rental car!!

Food & fuel are hard to get outside Penneshaw / Kingscote

Paul's Place is a mad chaotic animal park and very much fun

Sand surfing at Little Sahara - rent the boards at Vivonne Bay store

All the other normal stuff like Remarkable Rocks, Admirals Arch etc are good but you feel like you are being screwed over for $ are every stage.

In 4 days or so you'd see everything.

Enjoyable.

Agree on the sand boarding - sooo much fun! That was a highlight of KI for me. We also loved an 'up close and personal' tour with the seals at Seal Bay.

Spanners - what do you mean about being screwed over for $$ - as far as I recall you just parked at those spots (remarkable rocks, admirals arch) etc, wandered around, took photos etc? If you're talking overall costs tho, I agree - ferry is crazy expensive! I think it's the most expensive ferry in the world when you look at cost per KM travelled.

We had 2 nights, nearly 3 full days and that was perfect. We stayed at one end of the island one night and the other the second night so we could do a loop, rather than staying somewhere central. For us that worked well as we never came back on ourselves and could keep going in a rough loop of the island.

There are a couple of wineries, and a spirits distillery, that may tempt you for some tastings. Overall I was disappointed at the 'eating out' options given how much good produce comes from there. Maybe things have changed - I went in 2008.

Suggest if you're taking a car over that you do a supermarket shop before you head over - will be cheaper, more choice and you won't waste time shopping there.

Overall it's a beautiful place with some gorgeous scenery but felt very remote to me - don't go expecting 'tourist attractions' outside of some walks/wildlife/beauty spots etc and you won't be disappointed.

Spanners - what do you mean about being screwed over for $$ - as far as I recall you just parked at those spots (remarkable rocks, admirals arch) etc, wandered around, took photos etc? If you're talking overall costs tho, I agree - ferry is crazy expensive! I think it's the most expensive ferry in the world when you look at cost per KM travelled.

Can't remember the full details just the feeling that we had to pay to enter ever beach or park and that it wasn't cheap.

Agree about the food. Its expensive and so worth doing a food shop on the mainland first. Restaurants weren't great.

I went over at Christmas time with our Caravan and stayed at a Caravan Park near Flinders Chase National Park - it was called WesternKI caravan park. It has cabins too. Lots of lovely wildlife coming right up to you. We've been before and have been up close to the Seals and with that tour you do have to pay but there are board walks that you can do for free. Remarkable Rocks and Admiral Arch are free but you do have to pay an entrance fee to the park. There is a good visitors centre at Rocky River (at Flinders Chase). they also have some cute and old looking cabins there. We also went to a Honey making farm which has great honey. I'd really recommend it. The roads have improved a lot but there are still quite a lot of dirt roads. Vivonne Bay is a good place to base yourself. There are petrol stops in other areas other than Penneshaw & Kingscote but you need to keep your eye out for signs and fill up. Personally I didn't like Kingscote much. We visited it but it just seemed like another large suburb - although they have a good Pelican Feeding display.

Guest Guest12727

We also went with parents in law when they came over and they loved it.

Just like Soo_the_Panda, we stayed at both ends of the island so that we didn't waste time driving back and forth. MIL loves penguins, so we stayed at the Penneshaw end to catch the fairy penguins. (someone told me recently that there are none left - the same as Granite island, but I haven't confirmed this). We then headed via the honey farm, seals on the beach and Kelly caves down to the Flinders chase national park end. I recommend all of these, Kelly caves was fantastic.

There is a koala walk near Hanson bay, where you can walk along one path and see lots of koalas (no charge). Hanson Bay itself is a stunning beach.

Out the back of the visitor information centre Flinders Chase there is a fossil dig. Kids love it. They dig in sand and 'find' dinosaur bones/fossils and you can sit and watch them with a cuppa. There is also a walk around ponds which inhabit platypus. This is a nice easy walk, but the only platypus we saw were the brass statue variety. At least the kids can have a photo next to one.

We stayed in the Hanson bay cabins on a previous trip which were great http://www.hansonbay.com.au/beachfront-cabins/ and the Kangaroo island wilderness retreat with parents in law http://www.hansonbay.com.au/beachfront-cabins/. They have a restaurant which is handy as there isn't a lot to eat down that end. But it can work out a bit pricey.

I agree that Kingscote isn't the greatest, but it does have facilities.

I don't mind paying in the parks as this is what pays for the Rangers and enables the place to be cared for and kept as we want it to be.

We visited KI a couple of years ago when my parents came over too. Do you have an entertainment book? We used the offer in the entertainment book - 25% off any RETURN PASSENGER FERRY TICKET for up to FOUR PEOPLE. A lot of the roads we travelled on were not sealed so our car took a bit of a hammering. We all really enjoyed our time on KI.

Guest Watkinsfamily

We are looking at going over in February when we have visitors out but will be taking our 'large' dog any recommendations or advice please? Many thanks