Guest Guest14361

Summer hols

Guest Guest14361

Noticed the weather this week is 1oc warmer than last week.......summers on its way , so anyone got plans made or thinking where to go, whether it's overseas, or Australia

We are going for a two week drive around California at the end of Sept. Number 1 son in England is finally marrying the mother of his children (our two granddaughters) in May next year, so off we go again.

Don't have to wait for summer here in Brisbane though:tongue:

Not really. Although many I speak to seem to have booked their hols in Aus as soon as they finished their last one and are off to the same place, kind of like a tradition.

We are trying to plan a few days away but have never really been holiday people as such. Camping is on the cards, would like to head to Flinders.

Asia doesn't appeal to hubby and I in the least for holidays. We are pondering a spell in NZ perhaps the following summer. I'm also heading to the UK and possibly France or Spain next year for a trip.

Hey Snifter NZ is a great place, we prefer the South Island for the scenery though, we had a stunning weeks weather in the October, still possible to ski if you wanted but all roads drivable and quiet. We prefer to stay in Hotels/Motels these days, but my brother has done the camper van thing two or three times now as you can get some great package deals with flights/van.

Hey Snifter NZ is a great place, we prefer the South Island for the scenery though, we had a stunning weeks weather in the October, still possible to ski if you wanted but all roads drivable and quiet. We prefer to stay in Hotels/Motels these days, but my brother has done the camper van thing two or three times now as you can get some great package deals with flights/van.

Hubby lived in NZ for a couple of years so knows it well having travelled around from his home in Welly. Plus we have friends and family in Auckland, Welly and Christchurch so won't be stuck for places to stay and things to do :) We've a good idea of where we want to travel and see.

Skiiing wise hubby would like to ski in Aus. Although NZ can work out cheaper. I'd love to see the Snowy mountains and if we can combine that with a skiiing trip then all the better. We plan to visit other times of the year if we don't get a ski trip in anytime soon.

We're off on our third houseboat holiday in a few weeks time. This time trying much further up river from Renmark. Just me n hubby, lots of beer, wine and food, and the fishing rods. HEAVEN!!

Added bonus ................. daggy clothes are perfect, trakkie daks, uggs, and a beanie ....... wait for the pics!!

We've had our holidays for this year, Family visit to England, France and Dubai, with work feeling a bit more dubious I think next year may be a couple of weeks in Bali and maybe a cheeky week in Broome or Darwin. We just really like to switch off, be warm in the sunshine and enjoy ourselves.

Yeh had my holiday this year too - our two weeks in Borneo were fantastic though. Now I just have to get vicarious thrills from seeing my daughter's pics from Yosemite where she's working for the NH summer :dull:

Diane you will love those vicarious travel pics…. I travelled vicariously via helpful planning of my daughter's itinerary, indepth analysis of tours, sights , things to do and her photos of her planned trip home from Europe via Iceland/ USA /Canada/Japan/Malaysia/Singapore…….

As for summer holidays, I guess it depends what suits your budget. A lot of people have family shacks on the coast or river and reunite with family there. Again a lot of people take their kids camping. There are some excellent family parks. The theme parks on the gold coast are always popular but can be very busy in the summer. Asia is always a good call, 8 hr flight, no time difference, stunning scenery, good weather, cheap shopping, cultural activities. I would go back to Cambodia in a flash. Not Phnom Penh, but the more rural cities and towns. Same with Bali, if you get away from the cheap beer n club sector, there is tranquility, good food and again a variety of activities to be had.

Other holidays we have had have been renting an apartment for a week in Sydney CBD and Melbourne in Southbank, just over the river from the CBD. We have found though that it is no cheaper than nicking off to Asia for a week lol.

Yeh had my holiday this year too - our two weeks in Borneo were fantastic though. Now I just have to get vicarious thrills from seeing my daughter's pics from Yosemite where she's working for the NH summer :dull:

Hey Diane, could your daughter give some tips/opinions on what best to see in Yosemite? we will be there in late September for 1 night/2days, day one we drive in via Tioga pass so need to see as much as possible in one afternoon then 1 full day, I think we will generally miss the waterfalls at that time of year so does she know of alternative jaw droppers.

We are looking forward to seeing what they call the Mother of the Mother of national parks.

Thanks in anticipation

Keith.

We had our UK trip earlier in the year which we really enjoyed. We are off to Bali in a couple of months to chill out and indulge in a bit of pampering. OH hasn't been to Bali before and I was last there in 1997. I visited Bali as a stopover from Australia on my way back to the UK after spending 13 months living and travelling around Australia on a working holiday visa. While I was staying in Bali I became friendly with one of the girls who was from the UK who was staying at the same hotel as me. She rang her mum from the hotel, which back in 1997 wasn't that easy (an era before the internet and mobile phones were commonplace!!!!!) and I always remember her coming off the phone with her mum and being really annoyed because all her mum wanted to do was talk about Princess Diana. So we all said "what about Diana?" and she didn't know because she didn't let her mum tell her the news, so she ended up ringing her mum back to find out about Diana and of course that was when we found out she had died.