SWMBO

Things I have learnt along the way....... PR visa

Everyone has to pay for Prescriptions in Australia,

There is not one price for a prescription as in the UK, The maximum per item is $36.90,

Some items are not on the PBS so these can cost a lot more e.g. my acne cream was on a private script and cost $48,

You have to pay school fees at all schools Private and Public,

The school year starts at the end of January,

If you want to go to University you will have to pay your fees upfront until you become a Citizen,

You have to park your car on the left hand side of the road in the direction of flowing traffic,

Dentist costs are not free for adults or children (they are very expensive for braces ),

Some doctors Bulk Bill (are free) and others charge a gap for every one including kids,

You can go to as many different doctors as you want you do not have to stay with the same one all the time,

If you earn more than a certain amount you will have to pay an extra medicare tax surcharge,

The end of the tax year is 30 June,

Everyone has to do a Tax return or lodge a non lodgement form,

Health insurance does not always cover all your costs you can end up with gap payments,

Family benefit A and B have to be paid back, if at the end of the year your income has been more than it was expected to be. So it can be better to just claim at the end of each tax year and get a nice lump sum,

Please feel free to add to this list.

Edited by snifter

Dentist costs are not free for adults or children (they are very expensive for braces )

Not disagreeing with costs but for children there is the School Dental Service which we've used for our three. The scheme now means that each child has a set entitlement per year which covers check-ups, fillings, extra fluoride etc (but not orthodontics), but I have noticed that the cost of these has risen than when we paid a set amount until the treatment was complete.

You have to park your car on the left hand side of the road in the direction of flowing traffic

And the P on the signs is the number of minutes/hours you're allowed to park for (eg 2P = 2 hours) and a car park is the space not a whole carpark!

and on that note a park is a space for parking, a playground is where you play on climbing equipment and an oval is a field for kicking a ball around.

Family benefit A and B have to be paid back, if at the end of the year your income has been more than it was expected to be. So it can be better to just claim at the end of each tax year and get a nice lump sum,

Were on a 457 visa, Human services have said were not eligible for it

Were on a 457 visa, Human services have said were not eligible for it

Sorry my things we since I became PR.When on the 457 we were not entitled to anything either.

Can a mod Please change the title to Things I have Learnt along the way as a PR so that there is no confusion.

Edited by SWMBO

I would also like to let new people know that every chemist can charge a different price for your prescription.

The PBS sets out guidelines and they can charge up to the max of $36.90 or a max set by the PBS.

One of my fav websites is the PBS . Here you put in your medication and it will show either the price that all chemists will have to charge or if they can go upto ther $36.90 max.

We have always found that Chemist warehouse have always been the cheapest for our Large amount of asthma meds each month.

Good piece - it mentions a load of stuff we all learn without realising.

I have a bit to add -

SA only ships the rubbish wine to the UK so we keep all the good stuff here for ourselves.

Volunteering is a big thing here and many events / kids sports don't happen is no one steps forward.