Arial / antenna TV repair recommendations?? Hallett Cove

Guest Guest75

Guest Guest75

Hiya

It looks like we need someone to come and check the aerial connections at our home in Hallett Cove.

If anyone can recommend someone decent and fairly priced I'd really appreciate it.

It will be by quote as I've had several folk "try it on" with the price.:arghh:

The Aerial itself looks OK but we have hardly any free to view channels.

Some days seem better than others, we keep retuning..

It's a high two story house so it's a ladders job.

Our old regular guy has now changed careers - shame as he was very reasonable.

I wouldn't give Jim's any business. All I see is with outfits like this is some rich bloke trying to corner the market in absolutely everything by pushing out the smaller businesses plus the franchisee doesn't end up with a whole heap of cash as, if they are doing well, their patch gets sub-divided and a new franchise is issued. Effectively it's an income cap. I'd get an independent from Yellow Pages.

Guest Guest75
I would buy a new cable first. We did that and it fixed the exact same issue.

Where to begin though - 3 TV's not getting many channels and it's a very high 2 storey!

I wouldn't give Jim's any business. All I see is with outfits like this is some rich bloke trying to corner the market in absolutely everything by pushing out the smaller businesses plus the franchisee doesn't end up with a whole heap of cash as, if they are doing well, their patch gets sub-divided and a new franchise is issued. Effectively it's an income cap. I'd get an independent from Yellow Pages.

Based on our experience, I wouldn't use them again. Hopefully you can sort it yourself.

I had 'Jim' out today and was quoted $375 for an aerial and one point.

Adelaide antenna installations who quoted over the phone said it would be $260.

Also, as a side note 'Jim' said that as we have a TV point the landlord is responsible for the costs of installation as the house wasn't rented out saying TV point but not connected. Any one heard this, as our agent says we have to pay.

Also, as a side note 'Jim' said that as we have a TV point the landlord is responsible for the costs of installation as the house wasn't rented out saying TV point but not connected. Any one heard this, as our agent says we have to pay.

Jim - just say NO. Seriously, if anyone wants details including pictures of what they did, feel free to PM me.

Woah! Stop right there.

If you're in a rental you'll need written permission to alter or install anything whatsoever as you could be liable for the cost of putting it all back to exactly how it was when you vacate.

It all depends what's in the way, or if you are too close to the transmitter.

What made you think you wouldn't need a boster?

TBH it was in the house when we bought it so it wasn't something I had to research. Didn't have one when we were in Hallett Cove though and all was good. Do the signals come from the tower above Mitre 10 or is that cellphones and Wi-Fi only? We're currently 782m away from that with a direct line of sight (so sayeth Adam Internet anyway when they were trying to get me onto WiMax (otherwise known as CrapMax)).

Guest Guest75

We're currently 782m away from that with a direct line of sight (so sayeth Adam Internet anyway when they were trying to get me onto WiMax (otherwise known as CrapMax)).

Whoa!!... stop right there!!! <sorry could not resist>

Where we are there is no copper left in the road for us so WiMax or nothing - not a bad speed as we ain't far away, reasonable price, Helpline <not needed much> is LOCAL and brill.

Whoa!!... stop right there!!! <sorry could not resist>

Where we are there is no copper left in the road for us so WiMax or nothing - not a bad speed as we ain't far away, reasonable price, Helpline <not needed much> is LOCAL and brill.

I'd love to be able to get WiMAX but can't get a clear line of site we are. We're stuck with a rather flaky 4G mobile connection for all our internet needs. No problems with the TV Ariel signal though, although we did have to change a setting on our set top box before it would pick up all the channels.

Guest Claire-n-tel

I guess that would make sense, if it was advertised as having a tv point then it should work, kind of like saying that there is a deck out back and when you get there it is a pile of decking planks?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest75

Thanks for the suggestions.

I had a bloke called Mark Gentle out today, as recommended by a friend.

He was very good indeed, thorough and took time to explain the issue.:biggrin:

Basically the aerial was badly weathered and needed replacing.

Good price and service.

If anyone does need his services give me a shout.

Guest Guest75
Hi,

Just a quick update, we had Mark Gentle come round this morning. He has changed the aerial for us and we now have full use of all the channels again, yay!

Very good service and reasonable pricing. I would definately add on to Tykes recomendation if anyone is experiencing TV signal issues.

Beck

That's lovely to hear, he is onthe "List" now.