Guest Guest14361

Dementure help in UK

Guest Guest14361

Spent the past couple of hours searching for help for sufferers of dementure in the UK. My oldies are suffering well one has it the other suffers. Thought some recent arrivals would be more knowledgable with the system over there, found a site NHS choices but going round in circles.

Guest Claire-n-tel

It would depend on lots of factors ie how advanced the dementia is, if there is an official diagnosis, the health of the partner, the area they live in amongst many other things.

A good place to look is here...

http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents.php?categoryID=200121

also it is important to have the person examined and testing can and should be done to assess the severity

Guest Guest14361

I have read that the patient is the one that has to agree to be assessed, but if they say they don't need assessing the doc can't do anything.

Guest Claire-n-tel

That would depend in how advanced their dementia is, tbh that is a big problem with dementia care, often in the earlier stages the person will be aware of what is happening to them and want to deny that anything is wrong or be understandably scared of what will happen to them. If the patient is able to understand a fair amount and refuses to see a doctor they cannot be forced to do so. Unfortunately sometimes things have to deteriorate drastically for someone to be able to step in. Either they have to be an obvious danger to themselves or someone else in which case they could be sectioned for evaluation or treatment in a hospital. Sometimes if the patient has to go into hospital for some other reason, ie fall/chest infection etc their next of kin can voice concerns to the treating dr who can then arrange examination by the geriatric team.

Guest Guest14361

Things are beginning to deteriorate, that's the scary thing, they are 79 and 85, they won't listen to my bro at all and are both in denial, even after a couple of scary events, cases like this yet so far away. Thanks for your help, I have emailed the link you gave me

We had a similar problem with my father, who was not fit to live alone, but continued to tell the Social work assessor, when she visited, all sorts of untruths about his capabilities.

So I eventually had to arrange for a visit when I was there, and when I asked him the right questions, it was obvious to us all including the Social worker that there was a major problem. It was subsequently dealt with and from then on he received help. But he was so angry with me for involving "someone outside the family". Sometimes you have to seek official help and assessment for their own sakes, even without their consent.