Positive, positive & positive

RachaelOs

So in light of the recent posts, I thought I'd start a new one - only positive's allowed (yes we know there are negatives - this thread just isn't the place for them) so we've been here 3 months and so far:

My husband started work as a carpenter within 5 weeks of arriving and so far, so good

Everyone has been so friendly - I've never chatted to so many strangers before!

So many great things to do with children - lots of playgorups, parks, walks, hand feeding animals and we've only just began the exploring

I love my rental house - my neighbours are great, we have a view of the sea and the sunset every evening and there's enough room for all the furniture we shipped!

It's getting warmer and I feel my first swim in the sea is only a few weeks away (I expect I will be the only one in it!)

If you disagree with any of the above no need to let me know but feel free to add anything positive about your experience here be it having been in the last 10 years or 10 days!

xxx

What a great idea for a thread Rachael.

Unfortunately I'm not in Adelaide so mine will have to be about Australia in general.

1) The weather, I even enjoy the rain.

2) The scenery, there are so many beautiful places.

3) Property - You can get a beautiful house which is like a mansion compared to the 2 up 2 downs in the UK we had.

4) Wildlife - I had my own registered wildlife shelter and loved raising the possums, wombats, roos, koalas.

5) Life in general - I'm so much happier, the kids love it and we are all much more relaxed

Love this idea :D My positives from the last (almost) 7 years would be:

- People in general have been so welcoming and friendly. I really appreciate the comparatively great, happy customer service here when I go back to the UK

- Made amazing friends and the love of my life (even if she's Victorian..!)

- I love living by a beautiful beach and enjoying regular BBQs, swims, sunsets and walks

- Adelaide is a great place for being outdoors - I love walking and cycling on the esplanade and regular camping trips

- Love the wine culture and access to amazing wine country

- Love the fantastic food scene here - amazing restaurants - both cheapo and fine dining - and I love shopping at the Central markets

- Made amazing friends and met the love of my life (even if she's Victorian..!)

- I've had continuous work from 6 weeks in of being here - a year of temping admin and waitressing jobs then solid marketing work since I settled longer term

-Discovering the lovely new Foodland in Brighton has (almost!) made up for Waitrose for me :wink:

- I love hot hot hot summers, beautiful spring and autumn days, and still having the novelty of winters (red wine by an open fire - bliss!) - but knowing winter really isn't that bad - and it's over quickly - just long enough to enjoy it

- I love seeing beautiful parrot-like birds swoop past my office window regularly

- Fringe season is my favourite time of year in Adelaide and I love having a crazy month of watching music, comedy and theatre cheaply

- For such a small population, there's always loads going on and I really enjoy all the festivals, theatre, live music etc available.

-Discovering the lovely new Foodland in Brighton has (almost!) made up for Waitrose for me :wink:

Haven't been to the Brighton store but the Foodland at Henley Square (underneath the new apartments) is a nice shop and probably similar - a bit like Waitrose with some different stock (dare I say more up-market) from the normal Foodlands.

So in light of the recent posts, I thought I'd start a new one - only positive's allowed (yes we know there are negatives - this thread just isn't the place for them) so we've been here 3 months and so far:

My husband started work as a carpenter within 5 weeks of arriving and so far, so good

Everyone has been so friendly - I've never chatted to so many strangers before!

So many great things to do with children - lots of playgorups, parks, walks, hand feeding animals and we've only just began the exploring

I love my rental house - my neighbours are great, we have a view of the sea and the sunset every evening and there's enough room for all the furniture we shipped!

It's getting warmer and I feel my first swim in the sea is only a few weeks away (I expect I will be the only one in it!)

If you disagree with any of the above no need to let me know but feel free to add anything positive about your experience here be it having been in the last 10 years or 10 days!

xxx

Hi rachel

hel thanks for the post. Which part of adelaide have you moved to? We are moving over and are deciding which area to move to , my partner is a carpenter so we would be looking for that type of work aswell, how did he go about finding a job as a carpenter? Hopefully everything will fall into place for us just like it has for you. Also we have a 6 year old so would you have any recommendations on primary schools.

Enjoy your day - raining in the uk today!!

thanks kerri

DSC00255.jpg

Great beach walks on sunny days even when its cold

Superb wineries just 20 minutes away with lots of free tastings

Get to see the grandchildren growing up - sleepovers, baby-sitting, soccer and netball matches and 'Grandparents Day' at school

The recent sun has brought the flowers out and the promise of Spring just around the corner. Glad of gas heating, electric blankets and my hot water bottle though

Time to do what we like when we like without spending a fortune - quilting and church music for me, bowls and PROBUS for Clive and various social groups we both belong to

I still smile when I see a kangaroo bouncing along beside the road or a koala in the tree outside our house

Lots of great new friends - even more than we had in the UK and in such a short time too

Nearly three years in this beautiful city of ours and it still seems like a fantastic holiday

Okay, here are a few of the things I really appreciate about my life here :smile:

• How huge the moon can be, suspended in the widest of skies

• The sheer joy of my dogs when they get to run free on our beautiful beache

• The sound of all the birds, whether late at night, early in the morning, or throughout the day. The way the rainbow lorikeets come down to graze on left over apple

• Sitting on the veranda with the warmth of the pot belly stove, twinkly lights, fresh air, sharing a yarn with our friend

• Coming down the hill and seeing the se

• The fact that I 'get' the jokes (including a really bad one about Harold Holt, from my DD. which delighted her because I got it!) the words, references etc. That people forget I've been here less than ten years, and speak to me like we've always been Australian

• The cameraderie of barracking for 'your' team, the Grand Final, bagging everybody else's team

• The small town and community feel of where we live

I could go on and on, but I'm pretty sure I should stop now lol,

:cool: LC

Edited by Lazy Cow
Spacing! But it hasn't changed :(

Watching the sulphur crested cockatoos in our pine tree larking about and making quite a ruckus :-) One of our neighbours hates that.....even that is a bonus. Going for a hot chocolate at Mt Lofty lookout or a walk at the Mt Lofty Botanic Gardens - the Camelias and Azaleas are out and the daffodils are making their presence known. Even the cold crisp mornings while I am snug in bed with my warm quilt (doona).

Hi rachel

hel thanks for the post. Which part of adelaide have you moved to? We are moving over and are deciding which area to move to , my partner is a carpenter so we would be looking for that type of work aswell, how did he go about finding a job as a carpenter? Hopefully everything will fall into place for us just like it has for you. Also we have a 6 year old so would you have any recommendations on primary schools.

Enjoy your day - raining in the uk today!!

thanks kerri

Hiya :) Your questions are probably better in a new thread where others will also see them and be able to chip in with their thoughts for you. Also we have different sections of the forum devoted to education, housing and jobs. You can read lots of good info in those re schools, areas and jobs and also post and ask things there :)

Cheers

snifter

Positives.

* That we as a family are all happy and content with our move. That has only really fallen into place for me the past few months since we bought a house. Before that, while I was happy with the move I was struggling a bit as was living with in laws and it was cramped and got a bit stressful. All those stresses have eased since moving into our own place.

* Big sky. It was the one thing hubby truly missed in all his years in England with me. I get why. Its amazing to see here, words can't explain and until you are here and seeing it every day, you perhaps can't get an idea of what people mean.

* Nature and wildlife - Even the not so nice stuff has been good to see. I've seen lots of kangaroos, koalas, endless birds (both native and non native), emus and more. Its lovely to have some familiar things but even better having new ones to discover.

* Cycling for hubby (and us). Far better than where we were in England. In fact, far better than many places in England. I feel a lot happier hubby cycling here than I did before we moved. Plus he can still race here.

* Outdoorsy stuff. Apart from the middle of summer on the incredibly hot days we are out and about a great deal. We slip slop slap of course and seek out shade and other things. We would visit the beach a fair bit last summer early in the morning and be home by 10am and then chill out and be back down there after 4pm. Also in winter we are out a great deal. Its not that cold and we've done the Mylor fireworks on shortest day, long walks, beach wanders, road trips, days out. Love the sport too. Hubby enjoying the Aussie Rules again, son really getting in to it and playing at a local club. Cricket soon and we can't wait. Bike rides and races coming up too.

* Tour Down Under - fab bike race, loved being able to see it up close so many days. Usually its one stage in your area and the rest elsewhere. Here in Adelaide its all local and on the doorstep so to speak.

* Gelato down at Mosely Square. Can't recall the cafe name but its amazing. Who needs icecream from anywhere.

* We have an amazing house, quiet cul de sac, lovely garden all around us. Good schools nearby. In pretty much our perfect location in the hills but still on the cusp of a suburb and all the facilites it offers and easy access to other areas nearby.

* Our life overall is, IMHO, for us, better. No specific reason, a combination of all sorts really. We were happy in England, we are happy here. Just overall, things are better here when its all taken into consideration.

There are definitely less things out here to kill you than you might think - we've managed two years and not lost any limbs :jiggy:

I love that I'm living my own Neighbours dream - brown brick bungalow, letterbox at the end of the drive, children go off to school with backpacks bigger than them (although they might not think that's ideal, it fits my Erinsborough High memory).

Eating outside for 3/4 of the year - even winter morning late breakfasts/lunches, and discovering you can cook more than sausages and burgers on a barbecue.

Free to use barbecues at all sorts of locations.

Outdoor pools that are a great day out because it's warm enough.

Distances between places but still in the same country.

Finding the history of the country - both geological and cultural.

Part of our move was to show our children that there is a world out there and that you don't have to stay in one place doing the same thing forever if you don't want to and for us that seems to have worked. If things continue as they should we will have given our children the gift of dual citizenship and therefore half a world to choose from when the time comes for them.

I really like finding things that are familiar but just that little bit different.

The space.

Another one - the cost of public transport and the unlimited free parking at the train stations. If you need to do a journey that goes on any or all buses/trams/trains within a two hour time it only costs you one swipe of your Metrocard (although the price does vary depending on the time of day but my husband's peak-time commute to and from the Seaford station costs $3.80 each way). And the trams/buses are free in the city centre (between the Entertainment Centre and South Terrace (I think)).

Another one - the cost of public transport and the unlimited free parking at the train stations. If you need to do a journey that goes on any or all buses/trams/trains within a two hour time it only costs you one swipe of your Metrocard (although the price does vary depending on the time of day but my husband's peak-time commute to and from the Seaford station costs $3.80 each way). And the trams/buses are free in the city centre (between the Entertainment Centre and South Terrace (I think)).

If you look at the time my train commute from Seaford to the CBD takes against the cost, it's astonishing value for money, especially when you factor in the extra entertainment value of the Noarlunga crew when they get on-board!

Fishing!!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8174[/ATTACH]

The 1st time I went sea fishing with my son off the Cornwall coast we caught a shark, the captain kept the shark to sell but he cut the jaw out so we could have the teeth, they were not in bone as such but gristle/cartilage, so we boiled it up, boy oh boy did it not only stink the caravan out but the whole damn site, flies which would put the outback to shame too, but hey we got the teeth and proud of it!