Guest tintre

Best time of year to move advise please

Guest tintre

awaiting grant of 489 originally submitted mid May and have case officer, meds and all docs uploaded, so hopefully not to long now.

My profession is a nurse and hoping to move out if all goes well mid November, and if things delayed very end of Dec early Jan.

Does anyone see any issue with obtaining rental or job even if its agency at this time of the year, being closer to holiday season?

THANKS

My main issue with moving at the end of December or early January would be the weather. It can be bloomin hot then.

We moved at the end if January and arrived in a heat wave. I must admit my first thoughts were 'what have we done?' I think if you managed to move earlier you would at least have some lovely weather first to really enjoy the place before any of the HOT hot days kick in.

Also, I'd be a bit worried about finding rentals quickly over that period, but I've never actually looked then, so you might be ok.

Guest tintre

never thought about the weather lol but i do like a bit of heat but yes i agree, got to acclimatised to the change. As for rentals mmm my thoughts exactly as people more busy preparing for holiday season. Is there plenty of rentals? i have looked online and there seems to be, i just hope it doesnt take long to sort it as will be in hotel till that point.

, i just hope it doesnt take long to sort it as will be in hotel till that point.

As that stretch covers the school summer holidays, Christmas shutdowns, and people going away together for Christmas and New Year, hotels,B&Bs etc tend to be pretty busy and at their most expensive. So,I suggest you need to be prepared to pay peak rates. :shocked:

I would imagine renting might take a bit longer to arrange, because of all the holidays, but I don't know.

As for getting agency nursing work, would the holidays actually work in your favour? Hopefully a nurse will come on and advise you.

I don't know what visa a 489 is, but I guess you're planning on being here a while, so why hurry?

:smile: LC

Consider that for rentals, at least with people breaking their leases and moving, people might not be so keen to do that over the school summer hols or the Christmas break. I'm sure rentals will be around but perhaps not as many or it may be slightly slower if letting agents close down over Christmas or don't hold as many viewings or some such.

Also short term holiday rentals will be at a premium and cost lots more. And many get booked out well in advance. If you are paying per night for a hotel, I'd perhaps see what it costs for a hostel stay instead and see if you can find cheaper. Some people get lucky and find a rental within a week or two of arriving, but for most they tend to take a short term furnished rental or apartment for 3-4 weeks and usually find something within that time.

If its just you, I'd look to areas that have lots of options for apartment rentals with plenty being listed (at least over the rest of the year from what I see) and focus on those rather than perhaps a house or unit.

I'd go for mid Nov or if not, wait till Jan rather than the end of Dec and hit the Christmas shut down and all that.

I loved the weather in January, but it can be really difficult (and expensive) to find a short term arrival rental in that period.

Guest tintre

Thank you for replies, after much more research (god its time consuming) i have come to the conclusion you all, and others have suggested.

I have decided to come out 11th/12th of Jan arriving in adelaide, departing UK29th/30th of Dec and stopping over in Dubai for 2 weeks and seeing a good friend and actually flights not to bad around this time. However a bonus is accommodation is alot cheaper and i get to earn extra cash for the 6-8 weeks i have delayed from original plan...........but it makes sense!

I kind of knew the answer in my own head, but was hoping otherwise lol.............Thanks x

Guest LynzandStef

I just noticed your post by coincidence whilst searching for something else. Looks like you are arriving pretty soon?

If you haven't found anything yet, drop me a PM as I recruit nurses.