Guest Georgie

Best area to stay in?

Guest Georgie

Hi all,

I'm moving to Adelaide in October and am wondering what are the best areas to look for accommodation in? Ideally I want to be around a 20 minute bus/train journey to the city, and possibly the same distance (or shorter) from the beach.

Currently I've been looking around Glenelg as this seems to be a nice place, but as I don't really know much, I'd appreciate any input!

I want to be somewhere where there are bars/activities, as I won't know anyone, so a good place to meet people. I'll be looking for work in the city too.

I just need to know the best areas when I'm doing my property searches. Perhaps places to avoid too.

Thank you,

Georgie

Glenelg would probably tick your boxes but it's not 20 mins to the CBD from there. More like 30-40 mins on the tram, depending on time of day.

Norwood is nice and would probably meet your 20 minutes criterium to the city, maybe a bit further to the beach.

Lol, I don't think you'll have much of a problem meeting friends. Location depends on your finances really.

Living in the city is only 20 mins to the beach and it's got lots of night life. Henley beach is a trendy area with lots of coffee bars and restaurants, but not much night life. Glenelg has everything your looking for so probably the best bet. West Beach isn't far from Glenelg and rentals can be a bit cheaper. Good luck with the move :-)

Living in the city is only 20 mins to the beach and it's got lots of night life. Henley beach is a trendy area with lots of coffee bars and restaurants, but not much night life. Glenelg has everything your looking for so probably the best bet. West Beach isn't far from Glenelg and rentals can be a bit cheaper. Good luck with the move :-)

None of those suburbs mentioned can be reached from the CBD in 20 mins by public transport - it's double that time. Correcting not to be picky but to help the research of those not yet here.

None of those suburbs mentioned can be reached from the CBD in 20 mins by public transport - it's double that time. Correcting not to be picky but to help the research of those not yet here.

I apologise, you are correct of course. I hadn't read the post properly.

Norwood is great but pricey! Have you considered the city itself, there are lots of nice apartments and townhouses.

We stayed in the city when we first arrived but are now in Norwood, hubby walks to work in the city takes 25 mins. About 25 mins in the car to west beach/ Henley or a lovely 50 min bike ride down the Linear park.

Only reason we are not still in the city is the lack of parking in most places, we have 2 cars and 4 cycles to store!

Glenelg is is nice, but I would go for the city to live.

Guest Georgie

Thank you for all of your replies. :)

I will definitely have a look around the areas you mentioned. The main reason I wanted to be close to the city was for potential work, but I won't be doing that all of the time, so I'm sure the option to move around is there as well.

Thank you again!

And yes V-Bird, that is me, lol.