candt

Dog dilemma in a rental property

I decided to write a new thread instead of high jacking the other one I wrote on....

We signed the lease on a rental for 12 months in July. The house was advertised as pets permitted, we don't have any pets but wanted to get a dog when we had settled in. In all honesty we never mentioned it to the letting agent.

Now we are ready to have a new family member and want to get a dog. After several unanswered emailed requests to the agent we pushed for an answer and the response was " the landlord wants to think about it because of the carpets" (Carpets are only in the bedrooms)

Two weeks later and two more emails pushing for an answer the landlord said " yes, if the dog stays STRICTLY outside"

We won't be able to sit inside with the dog looking through the window at us. The house even has a dog flap. Hubby and son think we should just get one and let it in but I'm a bit worried about doing that.

What would you do?

Guest Claire-n-tel

Is it mentioned in your contract?

do you have the original advert where it states pets permitted?

No, it's a standard contract because we never had pets. It says we need to ask to keep any pets, even caged ones.

We don't have the original ad either, it was on the real estate website.

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hmmmm....not sure really....maybe you could offer a deposit and request again and state that the dog will not be allowed in carpeted areas?

have you mentioned that it was advertised as allowing pets?

the real estate agent should be able to print the original ad for you? Although they are saying pets are allowed (even if only outside)

Most standard rental contracts state you have to have the carpets professionally cleaned at the end of the rental. Offer to have them done annually.

To be honest we found that some of them who said pets permitted only meant outside anyway. Obviously we didn't go with those ones, but they could very well say that they meant permitted outside.

My ex got written permission for our dog at his place, which didn't state outside, and three months later got a letter saying outside only. He ignored it as he had the letter saying permitted and he specifically told them at the inspection she was an indoor dog.

In your case though I think you are a bit stuffed. I would also try offering for yearly carpet cleaning. Other than that, there isn't much you can do.

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

To be honest, if you didn't specifically include a pet on your application I'm not sure there's much else you can do. Even though the original advert may have stated pets permitted, it's still down to the owner's discretion. As one agent said to us... There's a difference between a family who have had a dog for X amount of years and can provide references etc to people who sign up and the next week want to get a puppy who may well wee everywhere and chew everything in sight.

I think we're stuffed too. Thanks for replies though.

I said how disappointed we were, as one of the reasons we applied was because it was advertised as pets permitted. ( again no response) I had to ask them to clean the carpets after we moved in, as they were dirty. I did state that they would be professionally cleaned at the end of the tenancy.

The owner may have chosen our application because we didn't have pets, which is fair enough it's his property. Just disappointed but it's a lesson learnt for next time.

I think we're stuffed too. Thanks for replies though.

I said how disappointed we were, as one of the reasons we applied was because it was advertised as pets permitted. ( again no response) I had to ask them to clean the carpets after we moved in, as they were dirty. I did state that they would be professionally cleaned at the end of the tenancy.

The owner may have chosen our application because we didn't have pets, which is fair enough it's his property. Just disappointed but it's a lesson learnt for next time.

I would just agree to it, how is anyone ever going to know where the dog goes ? if you are good tennants and keep a clean tidy home whats the differnce ? dogs kept outside all the time can be a nuiscience to other nieghbours anyway, they are part of the family not farm yard animals...

Persoally i think by saying just outside what they mean is any inside damage you will be charged for...

We were in a rental when we got our dog and we suggested baby gates containing him in the non carpeted living area. They were happy with that and it was nice keeping him out of the bedrooms!

If you keep the house clean etc they'll never know ;-) But do consider what you'll do during inspections or if he chews anything.

Good luck :-)