Rammygirl

Check your shoes folks, the red backs are out!

Just a reminder after some news.

Friends sister put her boots outside to dry after getting we in recent rain.

put them on to go to work. Red back, which had snuggled into them woke up and bit her foot.

she was driving down the freeway at the time ! Luckily she sort of knew and gritted her teeth through the pain and got to her client, who took her straight to hospital.

She could easily have crashed the car!

She was released later in the day but is back in now. On morphine for the extreme pain, they didn't give her anti venom because of nasty side effects.

We keep shoes in the attached garage so will be giving them a shake now.

roll on sandal weather!

Guest Team 'W'

Ye another thing is to NOT throw clothes onto the floor even if theyre for the wash ,cos the next thing is you pik them up and hey presto a white tip or black house spider will be sitting in wait ..:arghh:

I've stopped walking around in bare feet - sandles and slippers make it easy for a quick squish when necessary

I found a red back inside recently, wandered out from under the kitchen cupboards and across the floor. I had boots on thankfully as it walked right by my toes. I scooped it up and put it outside over the fence. People keep telling me to kill them but I've not done so yet.

I did invest in a large plastic tub with lid for all our outdoors stuff from the garden to live in when we are done with it each night. Son's footy, tennis balls, trainers and so on go in and and the lid put firmly back on. And as its clear plastic we can see in before opening it too. Everyone is under orders to keep it closed unless taking something out or putting something in. So far so good :)

Guest MissAli

Oh no, that means heaps of Huntsmen too - I know they aren't harmful but still :err:

That's something we were told before we came: never leave shoes or clothes outside for a long time and not checking what might be inside. And Aussies also put their socks into their shoes inside the house, just in case that nothing hides inside. I think your friends sister shouldn't know better because nobody told her that here in Australia people even wouldn't turn a leave upside down without work gloves on their hands (children here never play with leaves like children in Europe do for example due to the fact that nasty spiders could be underneath).

We had a young but ugly huntsman hanging outside of our 2nd bedroom window in our 1st year. A few weeks later I was cleaning the window inside in our 1st bedroom and this particular huntsman fell apart while I was pulling up the blinds!!! We have fly screens for every window and both doors and I still don't know how this guy managed to come inside maybe through a small whole in the wall. So I squashed the huntsman while he or she was relaxing in the warm bedroom....

This thread has so much scaremongering.

Of course you need to be careful, but most people in Aus never see or get bitten by anything poisonous, and most never check clothes or shoes before putting them on.

My friends sister is an Aussie born and bred. And no people here are generally not paranoid about spiders so don't always check everything.

She had never been bitten before, but will probably be more wary for a while!

I do wear gloves for gardening but don't check every outside chair before I sit down.

this just reminded me to be more cautious.

This thread has so much scaremongering.

Of course you need to be careful, but most people in Aus never see or get bitten by anything poisonous, and most never check clothes or shoes before putting them on.

Fair comment. Hubby was born and raised here and said he never had any problems as a kid and him, his siblings, cousins and friends all grew up just fine :biggrin: Just common sense stuff to be aware of really.

Son got bitten recently by an ant and it was a zinger. Lovely sore foot. To be fair he was poking at the nest with a stick and chances are had he not been near the nest would never have been bitten. He learnt a rather painful lesson anyways :cute:

I don't do anything in particular to stop spiders or keep them out nor do I really check for them. I have a garden full of them and a shed the size of small planet which has no end of them living in. My one thing was the storage box outside with the lid on but that also keeps things tidy and dry to boot. So win win for me.

That's something we were told before we came: never leave shoes or clothes outside for a long time and not checking what might be inside. And Aussies also put their socks into their shoes inside the house, just in case that nothing hides inside. I think your friends sister shouldn't know better because nobody told her that here in Australia people even wouldn't turn a leave upside down without work gloves on their hands

You must not meet many Aussies. I work in a production plant nursery. First off, most of us don't wear gloves. This is for picking up pots which have plenty big enough rims for spiders to live under. And for cleaning up leaves etc.

We also have an area outdoors (but sheltered) where we keep all our wet weather gear, including boots. No socks in them. Most people just give things a quick shake before putting them on.

We get the odd red back in the plants, but not many. A few more huntsmen, but again not many. One person has been bitten there (out of about 30 staff) in the last 35 years. That was a redback.

My Aussie partner leaves his work boots outside every night and doesn't even check them.