Guest RachelPatrick

Buying a car?! Any advice or tips or recommendations!

Guest RachelPatrick

Hi all

I've just arrived here in chilly Adelaide, I'm sure it will soon warm up. I was wondering if anyone had any top tips for car buying - the likes of...

What do I need to take when I buy the car - either private sale or through a dealer?

Do I need to get an SA licence first? how long does this take? do I have to take a test?!

Any good insurance companies who won't treat a 45 year old female driver with 10 plus years no claims bonus as a 18 year old hooligan simply because I've just arrived off the boat?

Any good / bad indifferent experiences!

Thanks all!

Rachel&Patrick

You can apply for a SA DL, you can choose a year, 2, 3 and upwards for it to be valid for.

Check out this page for links etc that may apply

http://www.sa.gov.au/topics/transport-travel-and-motoring/motoring

Here is a list of the centres were you can get your licence

http://www.sa.gov.au/directories/customer-service-centres/locations-and-opening-hours

100 points of ID will apply. I used passport and bank card and had Medicare if needed. They take your picture there, give you a temp paper licence and post out the card licence within a couple of weeks.

You have a few months to get your licence if over on PR but I think getting it ASAP after you arrive is a good thing as it is handy for the 100 points and other things.

We looked privately and at dealers. In the end we went with a dealer who was recommended to us and who was known to people we know. Car has been great so far. Got the 3 month warranty and also had a minor fault fixed within that time with no problems. We got lucky as the car came with 11 months rego, FSH and was on the lower side mileage wise.

Can't comment on insurance companies. We shopped around and went with the best deal. I think its wise to do the same for yourself.

We also have RAA cover.

Defo check out the heaters and air con works. And when it last had a timing belt change. We had our car serviced when it was due and they checked to see if it needed re gassing and all was good so they left it. Timing belt was ok also.

Make sure you get a warranty if you go for a dealership - and if you join the RAA, they can do warranty inspections both pre and post purchase - and dealers can't argue with an RAA inspection. We had our car for 2 months, got an inspection for $100ish and then took it back and got the few things that needed doing done.

The tip about not telling them you are new is good - say your after a second car :)

There are cars regularly for sale on this site. Do some searching.

Don't buy your dream car up front. Make do with a reliable runabout initially. You may need your money for more important things in the near future.

Hi, welcome to Adelaide. We use SGIC for our car insurance. We have a couple of old bangers as we only arrived a couple of months ago. They have a policy called third party property insurance and the premium is really affordable. Our 17 year old is learning to drive and the policy doesn't increase like it would in England, should the worst happen then the policy applies to the fully licensed driver accompanying him. The only downside is the excess goes from $450 to $1,200 for under 25's.

You won't need to take another driving test, it costs $17 admin and $40 per year for the license but you can buy multiple years as someone else said. You will probably need to get a form to take to your bank to confirm your ID. They wouldn't accept our bank cards?

Cars in SA don't have MOTS or roadworthy certificates. So remember that when you buy, they don't have compulsory annual checks and some cars would be in the scrap yards if they were in England.

They have rego which is compulsory (car tax in England) and includes 3rd party insurance, that covers people in the event of an accident but not their vehicle. The cost of transferring a car into your name is $27.

Hope thats been been helpful but if I've got anything wrong I'm sure others will kindly correct me :-)

Edited by candt

Plus you have to pay stamp duty....

Yeah I'm not sure how that works, personally. both of our cars are very cheap lol I think they fall under the threshold, whatever the threshold is? We never had to pay it anyway

Guest Claire-n-tel
    Yeah I'm not sure how that works, personally. both of our cars are very cheap lol I think they fall under the threshold, whatever the threshold is? We never had to pay it anyway

All cars have stamp duty on them, there is no threshold, I think sometimes dealers might pay it but not sure how that works :smile:

Ok, just googled it....

Where do I pay Stamp Duty on my Vehicle?

The total amount of stamp duty is payable at the time of registration (or transfer of registration) to the Registrar of Motor Vehicles (Service SA Customer Service Centres). Stamp duty is calculated on the value of the motor vehicle, which must be declared on the application. The Compliance Services Branch is regularly auditing motor vehicle dealers and investigating low values.

Where a motor vehicle forms part of the assets in a contract for the sale or purchase of a business, the stamp duty payable is assessed at the time the contract is submitted to RevenueSA for stamping.

Both of the cars cost us $27 each to register, so it must have been included.

I got worried then and thought I was going to get ANOTHER bill :-)

Guest Claire-n-tel
    Ok, just googled it....

Where do I pay Stamp Duty on my Vehicle?

The total amount of stamp duty is payable at the time of registration (or transfer of registration) to the Registrar of Motor Vehicles (Service SA Customer Service Centres). Stamp duty is calculated on the value of the motor vehicle, which must be declared on the application. The Compliance Services Branch is regularly auditing motor vehicle dealers and investigating low values.

Where a motor vehicle forms part of the assets in a contract for the sale or purchase of a business, the stamp duty payable is assessed at the time the contract is submitted to RevenueSA for stamping.

Both of the cars cost us $27 each to register, so it must have been included.

I got worried then and thought I was going to get ANOTHER bill :-)

Yep, if both your cars were under $500 then you have paid it altogether because transfer of ownership should be $22 :wink: