moving interstate????

Scousemouse

Hi All, not been on here for an age, but thats another story!!

So, why the post now? The other day (Tuesday), I had another shabby day at work, so bad I decided to hunt for another job. I submitted my cv to an agency, for a similar job that i have now, because anytime i have applied for more senior roles,here, i dont get shortlisted!!:arghh:

Anyhoodles, the next morning, at 0720hrs (!), the agency rang me; They asked the usual questions, what my experience was, where had i worked, about my NHS banding in Australian terms.....I was a Band7, or a level 3; would i consider rural ( in ozzy terms, something not in a city, but not beyond the black stump which is remote); they then said they have another, more senior post that they would like to have me apply for.........in Victoria!!! Err, ok, says I, a bit sceptical, and not really considering that I would have a sniff at such a post, please do...........

Yesterday.........the agency rang me again, at a much more civilised hour of 1420hrs. I missed the call.....so I rang them at 1600hrs. Apparently, I have an impressive cv! The hospital DON and CEO were very taken with my experience, knowledge, qualifications, and the agency opinion of how I am, at least over the phone!! They wish to speak with me.......with a view to meeting....

Now, we are settled, sort of, in Adelaide, the OH got a part time job after 3 years of looking; the kids have made friends,and another "big move" may be in the offing. We have a house, in a nice area, 10 mins from the CBD, 12 mins from work, and free parking therein, some friends of our own, whom we admire and respect. We enjoy the convenience of having town, country, beach within 30 mins. We have great neighbours.

However, I have ambitions, and a shot at being able to provide my family with "more" inspires me. Yet, I am nervous....how does one move interstate? What if I dont like it? how much will it cost? Why shouldnt we? Do we sell or rent the house? What's keeping us here? This is worse than moving half a world away!!!And whilst I know himself and the offspring will make a "go of it" anywhere, I will be "starting again", with nursing and medical colleagues who dont know me, who might resent me. Oh, but the salary and the position are so good...both our salaries combined.....and we can get more bang for our buck in housing terms.........

I get ahead of myself, I havent even spoken to them yet!:goofy:

Wondering if ANYONE has had a similar predicament??

Thanks for listening........

I think if I were you,I would hold a family meeting and consider everyone else's wants/needs first before committing to anything.Hmmm I think maybe "Wanting to provide more"could put you on that relentless wheel that spins out of control.When is "enough stuff"ever enough?On the positive side though its great you are being sort after,best of luck whatever you choose to do.

I think if I were you,I would hold a family meeting and consider everyone else's wants/needs first before committing to anything.Hmmm I think maybe "Wanting to provide more"could put you on that relentless wheel that spins out of control.When is "enough stuff"ever enough?On the positive side though its great you are being sort after,best of luck whatever you choose to do.

hi Lily, I understand what you mean, but this isnt about financial, or material things; more a rounded way of life.........

Thank you for your good wishes, and yes, it does make one feel a little better about things to be "wanted"!

• 4 weeks later...

We are in the same position. We have been here in Adelaide for 19 months. We like it here the kids are settled. My husband is in a secure (as secure as you can be here in Adelaide anyway) job, I am enjoying a part time job working around the children. Like I said, we like it but don't feel I really love it enough to want to buy a house here and worry there's not enough to keep the kids here when they grow up. We recently took a holiday to the goldcoast and loved it. I feel that the lifestyle there is more of what I expected Oz to be so we have dithered for the past few months wether to stay or just go for it. Today, about 6 hours ago we made the decision, let's just do it, so here I am on here looking for info about transferring electrical licences from adelaide to Queensland and I come across your post. I'm interested to see what you decide. Good luck with what ever path you choose. Take care, ClareClare