457 Visa leading to PR

Macca

Can anyone help with my question!

My husband has been offered a 457 job in South Australia, he has just turned 50, am I right it saying we can only stay there for 4 years on the visa, and would not be able to apply for PR? if this is correct, once there could I apply for my own 457 visa as I am only 47, if successful with a job, apply after 2 years for PR for all the family.

hope this makes sense!

Yes to all the above BUT it is all reliant on a company being willing to sponsor you, spending 2 years on a 457 does not automatically lead to PR you still have to meet the criteria and apply for PR.

Can you apply for a skilled visa now? Making the points is an issue but it might be possible. You need to read up on the visas yourself on the official government website http://www.immi.gov.au

it is a risky strategy to go in a 457 and hope for PR, especially at your ages.

On the other hand if you just fancy a few years down under, rent out your UK home and enjoy it!

As above - check with the employer. I came on a 457 visa and was given PR after 6 months so things do appear to be quite flexible. Remember when speaking to the employer that they are not visa experts and always double check with Immigration. Also remember (I am far far for knowing enough about visas as mine was extremely easy) that PR isn't actually permanent. Daft as it sounds a PR visa has to be renewed every 5 years so I'd be checking on that criteria also.

Unless you OH meets any of the age exemptions he won't be able to apply for PR, but 457 can be renewed after 4 years if you still meet the criteria.

As for yourself depending on your occupation skills and experience if you had the points the 489 provisional visa could be an option if your occupation is available for state nomination.

Also you don't have to be sponsored under your own 457 to be eligible for employer PR. You could go down the direct route as a 457 secondary applicant, but would need skills assessment for 186 or if meet criteria there is the 187 available.

Given your our age I would be aiming for PR now forget being sponsored for 2 years on your own 457 as the only difference it means you don't need to do the skills assessmemt.

What is your occupation?

PR does not have to be renewed. The travel part of the visa, allowing you to exit and return to Australia only lasts for 5 years. If you are in Australia then you can still stay indefinitely.

If after the 5 years you wish to travel outside of Australia you either need to have gained citizenship or apply for a resident return visa (RRV).

if you don't actually live in Australia then it is possible the PR will lapse.

Guest Claire-n-tel
I work in the hospitality trade, hotels, restaurants etc, I wouldn't get a sponsor for my trade, but can I get an employer to nominate me? for PR once in the country!

I know it is risky to go, but even if it was for a few years, its better than none!

Not really sure what you mean by wouldn't get a sponsor by could get an employer to nominate you?....they are basically the same thing?

Your occupation needs to be listed on either the SOL list or CSOL lists. Contrary to popular belief you cannot be sponsored or nominated for just any job as long as you have an agreeable employer, if there is no listed requirement for your occupation you cannot use your occupation to gain a visa

Given your ages I would suggest you contact a MARA agent as soon as possible for advice

good luck c&t

Can anyone help with my question!

My husband has been offered a 457 job in South Australia, he has just turned 50, am I right it saying we can only stay there for 4 years on the visa, and would not be able to apply for PR? if this is correct, once there could I apply for my own 457 visa as I am only 47, if successful with a job, apply after 2 years for PR for all the family.

hope this makes sense!

The 457 visa can be issued for up to a maximum of 4 years, however your husband's employer could seek further 457's at the end of that time. Under current legislation there are very limited exemptions to being able to apply for PR once over 50 through the employer sponsored visa options.

At 47 you could consider applying immediately for permanent residence through the skilled or employer sponsored visa options if you can meet the eligibility requirements. The 2 year transitional stream to PR is not guaranteed and there are risks you should take into consideration. It is also important to remember that legislation and policy can change over time.

A recent review has recommended some changes to the 457 some of which may be positive however they may or may not be implemented?

Doesn't mention it in the requirements though like it does for the 186. When did it change?

Migration Regulations 1994, subparagraph 5.19(4)(h)(i)

• 1 month later...