Little Athletics

NicF

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks superb. We are moving to Rostrevor in Jan and my little girl who will be 4 would love this. I assume we would have to wait until the following season or do you think it might be possible to join in for the last few weeks?

Thansk

Suzy

You can start when ever you like through the season. You can do two come and try sessions before you have to pay to join. Last year the centres were doing a free come and try but before that they used to charge $5. If you are going to be in Rostrevor your two nearest centres are Magill and Campbelltown at Paradise primary school. Some centres offer reduced fees if you join in February - I know Campbelltown do but I'm not sure about Magill.

By the way thats an excellent location you have chosen to live in :wink:.

Thanks NicF - yes really looking forward to getting there. My husband is from Rostrevor and we will be staying with his family to begin with then looking for a place of our own. Our daughter has just been accepted into rostrevor kindy starting end of January, a few little things to sort out here and hopefully we'll be there mid January :smile:

I thought Little Athletics was for 5 plus here. Our LA club only starts from 5 or 6 anyways so figured it was the norm state wide. Our club website states that all children must be 5 years or over by October 1 (for that year IYKWIM).

I did just check the Magill LA's website and it seems to be something called Tiny Tots for the younger ones. My local club doesn't run that programme, not all do.

http://www.salaa.org.au/Resources/Age-Group-Identifier

Also their website says that the come and try sessions run in Oct and Nov but no clue if that applies to Tiny Tots.

Q. Can my child try Little Athletics before joining?

A. Yes. Each new athlete is entitled to two Come and Try sessions throughout October and November. A form will need to be completed for insurance purposes.

Q. At what age can my child start?

A. Your child must be 3 yrs old at September 30th, 2016 to join Tiny Tots or 5 yrs old at September 30th, 2016 to join the Under 6 group. Under 17’s are the oldest group.

Campbelltown and Magill both have a tiny tots program. It's a modified program doing different things to the normal age groups. Haven't been to Magill but at Campbelltown they have some little hurdle things the kids run over, hoops they run or jump over while laid flat on the ground, bean bags they throw and a parachute silk they get the kids running under. And probably some other stuff as well but I didn't really pay that much attention. And yes, tiny tots can do the come and try as well.

Just checked website and Salisbury says from age 3. Not sure how my friends' kids did it last year. I'm on the fence deciding whether we are going to do it, actually I'm terrified of the commitment :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No real commitment except that you pay for the season up front. No one takes a register to check you have turned up each week (well we never did anyway). At Campbelltown we used to give certificates and trophies to the kids that attended at least 50% of the sessions in the season but last season I don't think we actually checked which kids had reached the 50% and just gave them to everyone. The whole thing is volunteer run and parents are asked to help out but there aren't really any set jobs. Some parents always do a particular role but if they are not there someone else steps in (or gets asked) to do it instead.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mine is going to his first State Multi event day this weekend. He's really excited, qualified for all the events and I've been busy sewing on his number and stuff onto his club top.

We've got family coming along also to cheer him and his club mates on and are really looking forward to our first big event. He wanted to enter into the state championship thing in March but are going to be overseas. So making the most of this one this time round :) Maybe see some of you there.

Good luck - we went last year and couldn't convince them to go again... there was a lot of sitting around between events and it was super warm.

Lots of fun though and a really friendly meet - obviously it's a competition but run in the spirit of LA and everyone cheering everyone on regardless of club.