Guest Loopylou

Bricklayer looking for work

Guest Loopylou

Hi, my name is Ian. My family and I arrived from the UK last week and we're currently living in Port Noarlunga.

I have started looking for work in the construction area. I am an experienced bricklayer with over 25 years experience. I have diversified into other area's such as slab/block paving and tarmacking.

Would anyone know of someone who has knowledge within the construction industry? Who could put us in contact with someone or point us in the right direction.

I am booked to do my white card on 3rd October.

Thanks

Ian

Hi,

Welcome - just to say when my husband was looking for work (as a carpenter) we found Seek next to useless and found the ads on gumtree lead to more. Also, my husband ended up working for somewhere he had applied to when still in the uk but hadn't got any response but when he rang them when we got here he got offered a job so if you have already contacted people may be worth following up now you're here.

I'll have a word with my husband tonight to see if there's any bricklayers at his firm - I know they do other things aside from carpentry.

Hopefully something will come along soon - it can be scary just arriving and feeling under pressure to find work. Hope everything else is going smoothly. X

Hi Ian,

I reckon that a bit of driving and footslog around all the housing estate/sub-divisions could be your best bet, due to how they build out here you could have 10 or more different builders working in the same street and even next door to each other, so stop and ask at every brickie gang you see.

Good luck

Guest Loopylou

Thank you Rachael and Keith for your replies. Rachael if you wouldn't mind asking your husband that would be great. I'm going to look at Seaford tomorrow as I understand there are some new builds up there. Thanks again Ian

Good advice regarding the local building sites. I know a number of builders have secured work this way for jobs that never get advertised.

It might be a good idea to register with the CITB. You will then get a discount for all training / courses that you do including your builders licence if you decide to go this route. The Master Builders Association is a route that many people go through.

Registration for CITB used to be free. The details are:

[h=3]CITB HomeMGP+sRHICws9AzPg8MOzpx8VgaoE8qFhgEADLQAoXdonEAkRYQJxySKowJ0DWAPxOPAjEB0OHIBYmSNBUAQzGDAEkhFoT6AjHjzwCaRjTQezSSgEWtFjS6A2ECC4CFSGQhEEVYMsCGQkQIArXwJQCYRnwQInZQUZsJMi0AzHAfIEGtOg9JMcAjNgSWAiEBMIXQLJSUAbRVGWBtAIOBPoQ6AlAoILUFOC4AAEcQhcCHSBgHMCUkKsHDigBogRD7LDcDMEiQKKOyxUDdggJkrEGBQTFiCSPiAAOw==

[/h]www.citb.org.au/

Construction Industry Training Board (CITB) supports and funds training programs across all three sectors of the building and construction industry in South Australia.

Guest Gina & Alan

ian are you good for installing patio doors 4m long as there is brick work above existing windows and supports it will require an rsj before frame is installed then bricked up either side, job in seaford if this is something you can do confidently send me a message

Alan