sduffy

Emergency services levy

Has anyone noticed that the Emergency Services Levy has increased quite a bit this yr.? Thanks a lot Mr Abbott.

Sue

Hi Sue,

We've just received our ESL, it's gone up by $48 not really a huge increase though we were expecting it. That is $48 on the house it also affects, car rego amongst a number of other things. The ESL is a state government tax so you can thank the State Labor Government for this money grab, nothing to do with the Federal Government this time.

The leaflet that came with the notice states that due to cuts made by federal govt they have had no choice but to substantaially increase the ESL.

I know who i am blaming.

Labour send out leaflet blaming the Liberals for a state tax increase. Surprise.

The ALP have been in power for 35 of the last 49 years in SA. That's why your local taxes are hefty.

This is the first time in 10 yrs that our ESL has more than doubled.In the previous 9 yrs went up by about 20- 30 dollars.

Labour are not perfect but the slash and burn of Liberal is horrendous.

Libs / Conservatives are historically the bad guys. Labour spend until there's nothing left, Libs reign everything back in. Nothing popular in cuts, but without the balance, the check (or cheque, in Labour's case) gets out of control.

Guest Guest14361
    Think labour have some humanity,libs are there to line the pockets of big business,libs or Cons same script.

And Labour empty my pockets

Humanity :) There is no difference between lining the pockets of big business (or trying to stimulate the economy using the private sector, either way) or lining the pockets of Unions.

It's horrid having to pay out but did you read the leaflet that came with it? They bought 852 fire vehicles and built or refurbished 80 fire stations. With the early start to summer we will be needing all that hardware pretty damned soon.

Yup, ours is up by over 160% :shocked:.

I wouldn't mind if I thought the money was actually an honest tax (is that an oxymoron??) to raise money for the emergency services, to support the CFS, SES etc, but an article in InDaily, 28 August, stated,

"The Treasurer also confirmed that the additional $357 million raised would not go to emergency services.

“What we’re doing is remove the discounts on the ESL and that money will go into spending on health and education …"

So...how does that fit in with this, from RevenueSA,

"By law, funds collected through the Emergency Services Levy are being placed into a dedicated account that can only be used to fund emergency services. The Department of Justice will distribute the funds and will publish financial reports each year."

Hmmm.

On a more positive note, looking on the website, you can apply to make the payment in four increments as long as you contact them before the due date.

LC

Yup, ours is up by over 160% :shocked:.

I wouldn't mind if I thought the money was actually an honest tax (is that an oxymoron??) to raise money for the emergency services, to support the CFS, SES etc, but an article in InDaily, 28 August, stated,

"The Treasurer also confirmed that the additional $357 million raised would not go to emergency services.

“What we’re doing is remove the discounts on the ESL and that money will go into spending on health and education …"

So...how does that fit in with this, from RevenueSA,

"By law, funds collected through the Emergency Services Levy are being placed into a dedicated account that can only be used to fund emergency services. The Department of Justice will distribute the funds and will publish financial reports each year."

Hmmm.

On a more positive note, looking on the website, you can apply to make the payment in four increments as long as you contact them before the due date.

LC

That's interesting.

I feel better if the funds are going to SES, and other emergency services but feel cheated if they are doing a slight of hand. Surely someone like Nick Xenophon would have picked up on something as underhand as this?

That's interesting.

I feel better if the funds are going to SES, and other emergency services but feel cheated if they are doing a slight of hand. Surely someone like Nick Xenophon would have picked up on something as underhand as this?

I read your comment, and decided to email the great Nick Z.

But then I read the treasurers comment again....do you think he means that it's actually the money which had been used for the discount that would go to education?

I'm so confused! It strikes me that it's all pollie-speak - you know, shut us up by appearing to put all this 'extra' money in to education, emergency services and health?

:confused: LC

Yes. My reading if the article is that the emergency services are getting the same amount of money in total but more of it is coming from us, the users, and less from the government. The money the government has saved by not giving us a discount is going elsewhere.

Dont get me started on Rego,its beyond ridiculous then even worse with the fully comp insurance on top.

Sue

Please, go on, I want to know what is so wrong about it. Genuine query, not a wind up.