amg

Single or return flight cheaper?

Hi all,

We are planning to stay in Oz for atleast 3 years, but planning to visit home every year. I was looking at flights and noticed that return tickets are only a little bit more expensive than singles. I was wondering whether it would be a good way to save money on tickets if I bought a return ticket instead of a single. This way I can use my return ticket next May when I plan to visit home? Is that possible?

Thanks for your help!

Amg

Guest Claire-n-tel

Yep as long as it is within a year

check how much date changes cost (you never know)

as as long as you are sure you will be able to afford to visit every year, not 13 even months, it has to be within a year, and you would go anyway, then yes you will save lots.

One aspect to consider is the buying when back in the UK part. As in you arrive for your 3 week holiday on your return leg and then have to book a flight back at pretty short notice then. Cost wise, how are these possibly going to be priced? More expensive? Last few seats, will you have seats together if flights are busy (given the time of year you fly etc) or even that you might not get flights on the day you want for a decent price? Research this side of things as a just in case. I know ticket availability can change overnight as can prices.

Also I recall one time when I wanted to book a return flight with a long gap inbetween, the return leg flights had not been released to sell so I had to book an open return and then try to book the return leg asap after those flights came up. As tickets often go fast it was a bit hit and miss but I did get a flight on a day I could manage but it wasn't my ideal. Open returns cost a bit more but give you a bit of flexibility on travel times/dates.

Edited by snifter

Guest Claire-n-tel

Snifter you can book your flights whenever you want from Australia, just book online, as long as your flights are originating in uk you will get the cheaper flights,

Snifter you can book your flights whenever you want from Australia, just book online, as long as your flights are originating in uk you will get the cheaper flights,

Hmm, I was under the impression you had to book in country of origin iykwim.

Guest Claire-n-tel
    Hmm, I was under the impression you had to book in country of origin iykwim.

Nope!....why would you have to?.....you can book from a completely different country if you wanted to.....we spent 4 years traveling full time and often booked flights from a different country....

the price is calculated by were the origin of your journey is so it won't help you to try booking a trip to the uk and back via a uk travel agent or .co.uk site, you will be able to book but will be charged the same as if you booked here

I do this as a matter of course as (currently) it is cheaper to buy flights originating in the UK then it is from Aus - it's called a reverse return. With Emirates they allow you to book a return flight and if their booking system does not have the return date available yet then you book as far as you can and then call them - they then put a note on your file which gives you one free change to allow you to get the return date you want when their booking system catches up. I would advise that you speak to the airline you are flying with prior to booking to make sure their terms and conditions suit you. Some special offers only allow a 3 month return but most are OK.

NWM

I'm tired, brain fried. I get what you mean. So many times I've read about price setting from each country etc and why you can't book this sort of thing from elsewhere and score a cheap deal.

Guest Claire-n-tel

Looking at the same dates at the mo, ie June next year a return flight originating in Aus is $1770 for the same dates uk rtn is 750 gbp

Guest Guest14361
    Looking at the same dates at the mo, ie June next year a return flight originating in Aus is $1770 for the same dates uk rtn is 750 gbp

so about $350 saving...is the 1770 based on a early bird for next year as no refund no date change make it cheaper, so saving could be more?