McGintyoz

Christmas cake

I know it is looming nearer, just wondered if my mum would be allowed to bring a Christmas cake into Adelaide if she declares it, any ideas???? she wont have time to make one when she gets here as there will not be long enough to feed it to the standards she likes :wink:

Guest Claire-n-tel

No not if it is home made only a pre-packaged one......maybe she'll have to send the recipe and let you make it!.....

I would check if I were you. The website says:

[h=4]Christmas gifts that are permitted into Australia include:[/h]Help us protect Australia from pests and diseases by bringing or sending alternative gifts that do not pose a biosecurity risk:

• cooked Christmas cakes and puddings
    • chocolates and confectionary
    • toys not containing animal or plant material

It might mean that it is a pre-packaged one but it is worth asking as it isn't clear from the website.

It's not really about the cake is it but more about that she made it......

For years I have been making my husband's family's version of an Australian Christmas cake, a boiled pineapple Christmas cake. It's quick easy, the kids all help and it is delicious, gone within a few days. It is much lighter for the hot weather here and maybe your mum could expand her repertoire.

For years I have been making my husband's family's version of an Australian Christmas cake, a boiled pineapple Christmas cake. It's quick easy, the kids all help and it is delicious, gone within a few days. It is much lighter for the hot weather here and maybe your mum could expand her repertoire.

Would love the recipe for that if you get chance :biggrin:

Here's my recipe, and also a link to the Golden Circle one which is nearly the same http://www.5ways.com.au/downloads/GCircle%20Boiled%20Pineapple%20Fruit%20Cake.pdf

Ingredients

440g tin of crushed pineapple with juice (plus a spoonful or so of sherry at Christmas)

500g mixed dried fruit, (a pkt of mixed fruit and I add halved red glace cherries at Christmas)

125g butter - I do use real butter

1 cup soft brown sugar

1 teaspoon mixed spice

1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

2 eggs

1 cup plain flour

1 cup self-raising flour

[h=4]Method[/h]Line a square or round cake tin (about 20cm round) with brown paper and baking paper, bringing the paper about 5cm above the edge of the tin.

Combine the pineapple (with tin juice), fruit, butter, sugar, spice and soda in a saucepan.

Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved then bring to the boil and boil uncovered for 3 minutes.

Allow the mixture to cool.

When cold, add eggs and flours and mix well. Spread into the prepared tin, a little more around the outside than in the centre.

Bake in a moderately slow oven for 1 to 1.5 hours. If it looks as if it browning too much after 1hr, I cover the top with brown paper

When the cake is cooked (test by sticking a skewer in - if it comes out with sticky mix on it, leave for another 10 minutes) - cover and leave in the tin to become cold.

Remove from tin and place airtight container for up to a week.

Sometimes it doesn't turn out right, in which case my family just eat it and I make another. You can also add a handful nuts to the dry ingredients, if you don't have anyone with allergies.

When everyone was home I used to make it about once a month, but now only at Christmas, as it is very morish!!!